Havin' Fun

{1970}

I was walking past my parents' room when I noticed that mom was on the phone with someone. A little curious as to who it was, I quietly asked her who was on the other end. She smiled back and said "My old friend, Katherine. You remember her kids right? Michael, Marlon, Jermaine, little Janet, and them."

I smiled once she announced the names of the kids. I remember hanging out with the Jacksons when I was little. Mike and I were the best of friends. Everything was nice until they had to move out of Gary since their careers took off. About 2 years ago was when they moved. I was absolutely heartbroken. But I was happy for them..

Fortunately, dad had gotten a new job in California a year ago. So we live here now, just like the Jacksons. I was ecstatic when dad announced the news.

But I had lost touch with Michael and his siblings ever since they moved. 

I was deep in thought, wondering how things would be if we still talked. That's when I overheard Mrs. Jackson mention that the Jackson 5's makeup artist was sick.

And that's when I got the craziest idea.

~~~~

I hum the lyrics of "ABC" to myself as we walk down to our hotel rooms after the boys' performance. "The boys" as in Michael and his brothers, or the Jackson 5. Yeah, they just finished performing. And guess what?

I asked my parents if I could take over for the Jacksons' makeup artist since they were sick. And after a little convincing, they agreed to let me! Isn't that great?

And it may or may not have taken a few months of begging to let me go on a tour with them, but mom and dad eventually caved in. And I have to say, it's been the best! 

Although, some of the crew were doubtful. Having some random kid do makeup and all for the J5. However, I'm really good at it. I had to demonstrate my skills to prove it to them, but once they saw my work, everyone agreed to let me tag along.

I was so so grateful. I would be away from my parents for quite a while, the longest I've ever been away from them. They were sad to let me go, and I was a little sad to leave them too, but I assured them that I would be just fine.

"Sooo, how'd you like the show?" Michael asked as he walked up to me. I turned from looking down at my shoes to look at him. "I loved it! You guys are amazing! It's still mind-blowing that I'm touring with the Jackson 5! And my old childhood friend.." 

Michael gave me a radiant smile.

I smiled back and returned to my thoughts.

Mike and I quickly became good friends again during my stay with them. He's just like I remembered him being. It's like nothing ever changed. He's still super kind, cute, caring, and so much fun to be around.

It fell silent, but then Marlon walked up to us. He's fun too.

"Man..I can't wait to lay down," he sighed. "Easy for you to say. You're not the one who had to bounce around the whole stage for three hours," Michael teased.

"Whatever. I work just as hard as you do Mike," Marlon chuckled and rolled his eyes, making us both laugh.

~~~~

The sound of laughter echoed through the walls of our hotel room as I chased Michael with a water balloon. "Cut it out!" He giggled. "Never!" I screamed with an evil laugh. Marlon then came out of the kitchen area with a water balloon in his hand.

"Listen up. I have an idea of what to do with these," he smirked. Michael and I looked at each other with a sly expression, already knowing what we were gonna do.