xxiv

song(s) for this chapter: family affair X mary j

song(s) for this chapter: family affair X mary j. blidge

July 11th

"Why do your parents like flying so late," Gionni yawned as they made the drive to the airport. It was 11:45 and Nayeli was knocked out sleeping in the back. Nadira wasn't too far behind her. They were on their way to Louisiana for her father's family reunion, and they'd be there for four days before flying to Trinidad, where they'd be for five days.

It was a much needed break from the wedding planning and from work for them both.

"My dad has a theory that airports are less busy at night so he buys the latest flights he can find," she shook her head. "I can't wait to take my black ass to sleep," she groaned. She had a hard time falling asleep in cars, or trucks, but she slept like a baby on planes.  They still had about thirty minutes left on the drive and she was tired from all the last minute packing she did.

"Me either," he chuckled. "Hey baby, I gotta talk to you about something," he sighed, tapping his fingers on his steering wheel.

"Okay, what's up? You alright?" she turned slightly in her chair to face him.

"I mean overall, yeah," he shrugged. "But I just been thinking about my mom a lot lately,"

Nadira's eyes widened in a bit of a shock, since she hadn't heard him speak of her in a while.

"Really? What about her?" she asked, lifting her leg into the seat.

"I uh.. I been thinking of meeting up with her," he confessed. "I just wanna know why she did it. I don't know what'll come after that but I just wanna know why. Is that wrong?" he briefly glanced over at Nadira, and she could hear the pain in his tone, every single time he discussed her he sounded hurt to his core.

"No, baby," she held his free hand in her own. "That's not wrong at all. That was your mom and she really really hurt you, babe, it's natural for you to want to know why. It could do some healing for you," she rubbed her thumb over his hand. "If you think that's something that'll help you out, go for it baby," she smiled small at him.

"Would you go with me?" he looked over at her. She smiled brightly and nodded.

"If you want me to, I will absolutely go with you, babe. I'm here to support you," she his lips quirked up slightly.

"Thank you, mama," he spoke. "You gotta keep me still so I don't jump across a table on her ass," he joked.

"Gionni, stop playing!" she laughed.