xxxii

It was two in the morning, and Nadira lay flat on her back, exhausted

It was two in the morning, and Nadira lay flat on her back, exhausted. Omari was particularly active that night, moving around and kicking her everywhere and she couldn't sleep. She was dangerously close to tears because everyone knew how much she loved her sleep and her son wasn't giving her any grace. To top it all off, Gionni slept peacefully next to her.

She was tempted to smack him and wake him up.

"Baby?" she heard his raspy voice call. Then she felt bad about wanting to smack him.

"Yeah?" she replied, turning her head to face him.

"He keeping you up again?" he asked, propping his head up.

"Yes," she sniffed, the exhaustion was really starting to get to her. She was frustrated and tired, not to mention hormonal. She was usually up late but today was already a long day and she desperately wanted rest.

"You wanna be touched?" he asked to clarify. Some nights like this she just wanted to be left alone, no touching, no kissing, she barely wanted to be looked at.

He wanted to make sure this was not one of those nights. When she nodded her head, he sat up a little bit more and urged her closer to him until her body was resting on his. She dropped her head on his chest, bottom lip still quivering as he kissed her forehead.

"I'm so tired, Gionni," she whimpered snuggling closer to him. He wrapped his arm around her body and began to rub her back. From her position, her belly was touching him and even he could feel the baby move.

"I know you are, baby. I'm sorry," he muttered, repeatedly kissing her on her face in an attempt to soothe her so she wouldn't cry. He put his free hand in the space between them and laid it on her stomach, where their son was currently turning.

"Hey lil boy," he spoke aloud. "Why you acting up? You need to relax and let mama sleep, she's tired, man," he continued, beginning to rub circles in her stomach. "You making mama cry, peanut, we can't have that okay? We want mommy to be happy so you gotta relax, baby," he spoke to Omari.

After a few minutes of him moving around a little more, he seemed to settle down.

"You okay now, mama?" he asked Nadira, hand resting in her hair. She didn't respond and he pulled back to look at her, only to see her fast asleep, eyes and mouth halfway open. He chuckled to himself and got comfortable in his position, he knew he wouldn't be moving anytime soon.