xliv

song(s) for this chapter: sweet love X anita baker.

November 1st

November 1st

"Nayeli. Get them please, I'm not dressed," Nadira sighed, turning to her 16 year old daughter, who was sitting on her bed, texting her cousin. They heard something fall, and they were hoping it wasn't one of the kids.

"Gotchu, mama," Nayeli chuckled, getting out of bed and leaving out. "Y'all better sit down before mama come out here wit' a belt!" she yelled, making Nadira bust out laughing. Today was she and Gionni's tenth anniversary, and they were getting ready for their anniversary party that she, of course, planned.

"Mama! Mama, can I come in please?" she heard a little voice at the door, knowing it was Amani. She and her brother were now 7, and they loved being in their parents room for whatever reason. But, the doting mother she was, Nadira never said no.

"Yes, Amani, come on. But Sarai is asleep so you need to keep quiet," she called.

After the twins, Nadira and Gionni genuinely didn't plan on having any more kids. Nadira went back on birth control and everything. But three years ago, a surprise came in the form of their newest baby girl, Sarai Giovanna Cartier. She was received lovingly by her family, buy to avoid any more surprises, Nadira got her tubes tied when she turned one.

Amani came into the room in a sparkling yellow dress, curly hair cascading over her shoulders, long like her sister. She wore glasses, which she hated, and had her shoes buckled. She kicked them off and sat on the bed next to her sleeping baby sister and simply laid back.

Soon enough, as she continued to apply her makeup, she heard another knock at the door, but this time it was Omari, who didn't even ask to come in. He just came in and stood next to her in the bathroom, not saying a word.

"Yes papa?" she chuckled, looking over at her now eight year old son. He was growing to be so handsome, but he was still just like he was as a baby, nobody minded though.

"Nothing. You look pretty mama," he said simply, looking up at her.

"Aww! Thank you thugga," she cooed, giving him a kiss. He was still a mama's boy through and through, he loved being under his mom and now that he was older, he purposely stole her from his dad, sparking many play fights in their house.