2. Burnt Donuts

Opening a bakery on a land made of any sweets imaginable isn't anything new in Whole Cake Island. It's reasonable why yours didn't pick up immediately after reopening the following week, just when you finished repairs! Third time is the charm, right?

Once the old building was repaired and patched up, you spent your remaining spare change on cutesy decorations. Your bakery isn't too lavish or glamorous by any means, it's sweet, simple with pastel-colored walls, birch wood furniture, round tables, and a few flower pots here and there. From the outside, there's a sign loosely hanging from over the entrance with the name you kept from your previous burnt bakeries.

"The Chocolate Bunny Bakery huh?" A woman with hair as pink as her featherd coat stood outside of your bakery, holding hands with a younger girl in a panda hat.
"I've never seen this shop before, let's check it out Gallete-san!" Poire jumps happily, dragging her older sister inside.

You're casually cleaning your counter top when you received your first batch of costumers. "Good afternoon, what may I get you two lovely ladies?"

Gallette points her thumb to the little girl beside her with mild boredom. "We're just passing by but then this one became pekish," Gallete raised her voice slightly. "Even though I told her many time we have better treats back home." she repeated to Poire but the preteen girl didn't spare her the attention.

"You're so boring Gallete-san, when was the last time you ate something that wasn't prepared by the staff?" the teen snaps back, leaning on the counter with her tiptoes.
"Just hurry up and pick something already! we're gonna be late." Gallete warns her, but the younger girl shrugged it off easily.
"Who cares it's probably just another boring meeting." the two sisters argue back and forth. You gave them a nervous smile as you bump between the two.
"Well, I hope I can serve something that's worth the trip here." you kept your voice smooth and well-mannered as you handed them the menu.

They soon made their order and you wrapped it for them in a neatly packed box, bidding the two ladies a nice day as you watch them continuing to argue outside your bakery. Sells are rather slow but the two girls brought you a sense of hope for a thriving business, besides, after an hour or two the familiar bell chime made you all the more eager. Your third client for the day! You leave the kitchen to see an unkempt man enter the building, you didn't think much of it until you saw the group of similar men enter one by one, all of them wearing rough clothes and taunting smirks as they sit on your tables. The unkempt leader of the group makes his way to the counter, purposely ringing the serving bell even though you're standing right there.

It's easy to assume they're a group of pirates or criminals but whatever they are once they step on your building they're first and foremost, just customers.
"Welcome, how may I help you?" you greet in an amicable tone just like the one you used with the sisters.

The leader of the thugs smirks at you. Despite your tall height, you look like a soft and sweet lady, the perfect target for ill-intention criminals like them. The leader leans an elbow on the counter, facing you directly after eyeing your shop with malicious intent.
"We're not here to buy. Looks like you're new here sweet cakes so I'll cut to the chase- We keep small businesses like yours under our protection from other criminals and pirates alike, but it comes with a weekly fee." he rubs his thumb and index finger together as a sign for money.

You may be inept at baking, but you're not stupid. "Thanks but no thanks, I can watch over my bakery." you reply, trying to keep a polite tone.

The leader didn't like the sound of that. "Is that so?" he snapped his fingers, causing the other gang members to flip your chairs and tables. "I think you didn't understand me." he continues.

You stand your ground despite the others trashing your bakery, leaning forward without breaking your threatening smile. "No, you're the numbskull who doesn't understand me-" your hand twitches, grabbing the gang leader by the collar, almost cutting off his oxygen supply. If these fellas aren't customers then that means you can kick them out.

You're more than ready to cause a shit storm. But there's something holding you back, a shiver running down your back, the sensation of someone stronger than you nearby. You doubt the criminals have the same kind of sensibility as you, but atleast they have functioning eyes to see  Charlotte Katakuri walk in your establishment. 
What is such an important man doing inside your humble bakery?

_________

Katakuri feels relieved to get out of that meeting, if it wasn't because of their shouting he's sure they would've heard his stomach growl. As he made his way to his personal room, Katakuri bumps into Gallete and Poire who's holding onto a neat box.

"You're late." Katakuri points out to the eldest of the two.

"Poire was hungry when we docked the ship, she noticed a new bakery nearby and well, one thing lead to another." Galette responds in annoyance, crossing her hands over her chest.

"Actually, I wasn't that hungry. I heard big bro Katakuri was here so I wanted to bring him something. It's almost time for your merienda right?" Poire gives the man a cutsy smile, handing him the box.

"That's completely unnecessary," Katakuri started until he saw the sadden look Poire gave him, sighing as he changed his mind. "But I suppose I can accept the present. How about I share a few before you go into the meeting?" Katakuri takes a the offered box, ripping the paper seal and opening the box. Despite the scarf covering half of his features, it's easy to tell the scrowl on his face just by looking at his eyes. "These donuts are burnt beyond consumtion." he states angrily, shutting the box.

Poire looks distressed an embarrassed. "I'm so sorry Big Brother Katakuri! I saw it was a new shop and i wanted to try them myself but i knew you were hungry so i thought..." the young girl starts to sob, Gallete rolls her eyes but still rubs Poire's back in comfort.

"It's not your fault Poire, the shameless baker who sold you those donuts is the one to blame." Katakuri's crushed the box in his hand. "I'll have a word with them this instant- or, until the end of the meeting." The sweet commander is more than ready to defend his little sister, if only the roaring of his hungry stomach complied with him.

"...After my merienda of course." he whispers to himself.

----

"Is there an issue here?" Katakuri asks as he steps inside the building, his rigid stare causing the thugs to tense up. You immediate respond is by releasing the leader from your hold, switching back to that sweet and inoffensive attitude you kept up.
"Oh heavens no! these fine gentlemen were just giving me a warm welcoming to the neighborhood." you shrug off, even though your furniture is flipped over and a few pots are smashed.

Katakuri gives the shop a judgmental look before his view lands on the gang leader, causing the smaller man to break a sweat. "We were already on our way out," he states, shaking off the initial hold you had on him. "Let's head out boys, I'm sure miss baker has a lot to clean." he smirks smugly at you before taking his leave. While the men made their way out of the bakery Katakuri had his eyes fixated on you, something about you is painfully familiar but he can't place his finger on it.

"May I help you with anything dear costumer?" you ask, reverting back to that sickly sweet smile. It all slowly came back to him a migraine crashing in the back of his skull.

"Of course, you're that careless girl from Wheat Island," The sweet commander groans in realization. "I don't want anything, I just wanted to know who's the incompetent baker that sold burnt donuts to my little sister. But it looks like my sister isn't the only unsatisfied costumer you served." he refers to the gang members.

"They were being difficult, but I had everything under control!"

"Of course you did-" Katakuri scoffs sarcastically before giving you a rigid stare. "If you ever sell burnt pastries to my siblings ever again I'll shut down every pathetic excuse of a bakery your open in Tottoland." he threatens. You stand up straight, taking his stare more seriously than the thugs who literally trashed your shop.
Even after Katakuri left the building you bid him away. "...Have a nice day." you sigh, eyes landing on the broken flower pots. So much for the first day.