10. Starting Role

You aren't one for theater, but you know your life could be compared of that of a play. You slip on a mask (both figuratively and literally) and you play the role assigned to you depending on the situation. It's something that has become as natural as breathing.

Either because you're a good liar or you secretly have a knack for acting.

But the reality of the situation is. How far are you willing to play your role?

The role you took for your undercover mission in Whole Cake island is that of a normal civilian. Specifically, a shy baker who is too afraid to talk back or defend herself. Which is more than an easy target for the Charlotte siblings.

Once the news broke out that the Minister of Wheat Island would frequently visit a bakery in Sweet City, there were curious people who wanted to know what made this bakery so special.

It had its pros and cons.

On one side you had more costumers coming in, which made you busier and earned some side money. But on the other you were starting to gain unwanted attention from the big mom pirates.

"This cheesecake needs more cheese." Charlotte Citron demanded.

You haven't even opened yet and they were already coming in to criticize your baking without even tasting it.

So you added more cheese to your pastries.

"Incompetent baker, your cheesecake tastes too much like milk." Charlotte Gallete roughly returned the pastry. Or more like, dropped it on your counter.

"Bleh, these butter cookies are way to sweet!" Charlotte Snack once complained.

So you added less sugar to the cookie mix.

"How can you even call these cookies at all? They're too salty." Charlotte Mozart noticed, tossing the batch to the trash.

"I apologize Mozart-sama." you forced yourself to smile apologetically.

And all this happened in the span of a day. The recurring week just got worse.

There were exceptions like the twins Charlotte Chiffon and Lola who politely gave you feedback on how to improve your lava cakes.

But then there were assholes like Charlotte Cracker, who bought a cake only to toss it at your windows and say how much of a shitty baker you are.

Sometimes you just wanted to give up, open a portal, absorb your bakery with the Charlottes inside and transport them to the middle of the sea.

Yet you resisted against the idea no matter how tempting it sounded.

At the end of the day you closed your shop like normal, just more exhausted. You were surprised to turn around and find Charlotte Katakuri standing a few feet behind you. A small smile stretched on your lips at the sight of the 16ft tall man.

"I'm sorry to say you arrived a bit late." you joke around before locking the door to your bakery. "But tomorrow morning I can have a fresh batch of donuts made exclusively for you sweet commander."

Katakuri didn't respond right away, which to you was more than normal until he addressed you formally. "(Y/n), i'll company you home. We need to talk." he said firmly.

"Oh uh, sure." you reply almost quietly, wondering what is it this man had to speak with you.

Not only was Katakuri being enigmatic, but silent as well. During the walk whenever you tried to make small talk or reference what he wanted to talk about, Katakuri would just say. "Not yet." Leaving you to question what has gotten him so serious of a sudden in comparison to the tea time you two had. You went to grab his hand like last time, which he didn't refuse, but he also didn't return.

The only time he did speak was when you mentioned his siblings.

"Your family has been visiting my bakery lately." you say out of the blue.

"Is that so?" Katakuri responded much to your surprise.

"They..." you trail off.

Are major assholes.

"Are interesting people." you grind your teeth, unable to talk badly about them.

With each step you took towards your house you could feel the questions and anxiety eating you from the inside. Where you in trouble? Did his siblings made up some lie about you? Were you careless and he found out about your secret identity? Would he kill you?

You were so deep in your thoughts that you failed to notice the familiar carpet in the doorstep of your house.

"We're here." Katakuri said stoically.

Without letting another second go to waste, you faced the mochi man beside you. "So what's this secretive thing you wanted to talk about?" you ask straight forward.

Katakuri hesitate, like he didn't want to reveal this information to you. But he had no other choice.

"There is another reason why I meant to company you all the way here." Katakuri's voice lowered, releasing your hand from his.

"What is it?" you ask, almost fearfully.

"I am afraid we can longer see each other."

You were at a shock of words, tilting your head up to look at the 16 ft man in the eye. "Can I ask why?" you ask firmly, almost trembling with anger.

"My family does not approve a relationship between us, they deem you weak and fragile and I for one agree with them. You can't defend yourself nor can you handle a life with my family." he spoke firmly, almost artificially like an emotionless robot. "This was a waste of time. I apologize."

You felt a sting in your eyes, lowering your head as a way to keep your eyes glued to the ground. Clenching your fists angrily. You didn't want him to see you as weak, that's not who you really are. But you can't tell him that, you have an identity to protect. And that's what hurts you the most.

The show must go on.

"... I understand." you nod solemnly.

"Goodbye (y/n) (l/n)." he bid you farewell without another word.

"T-take care." you whisper softly, closing the door behind you.

You walk inside your candy home completely awestruck, leaning back against the door and sliding down to sit on the floor in disbelief.

You did it.

You played your role flawlessly without a doubt. They really do believe you're nothing but an innocent little baker.

You should be happy you tricked the Charlotte family. Your identity is safe.

Even as the theater curtain comes to a close and the audience could no longer see you, you raised your knees up to your chest, silently weeping as you feel your heart ache.

The only one you can't trick, is yourself.