18. A Bitter Pill To Swallow

You mentally prepared yourself before this fight, after hours of meditating and considering what you would do independent if the fight ends properly or not.

The possibilities were endless. And you were ready for any of them.

But this.

This wasn't on your list of imaginary scenarios.

"I uhh.. Come again?" you stutter, even cleaning your ears to make sure you heard right.

"I said I want you to join me Moonlight Thief, with an ability like yours I'm sure mama can forgive your-"

"Yeah, I heard that but..." you abruptly interrupt him.

"I..." you hesitate. Even with that rabbit mask covering your face, it's easy to tell by your body language that you're unsure.

Katakuri was now frowning from under his scarf, noticeable by his furrowed eyebrows. He didn't take your reaction kindly, the change in attitude inconsistent with how you behaved just an hour ago. Not to mention his patience was already running thin after hours of fighting.

He furiously kicked a piece of rubble out of the way, stomping towards you.

"You've spent all this time trying to gain my attention with petty jokes and childish behavior, and now that I am offering you a chance to improve yourself, you cower back?" he almost sounded offended at this point, like you just spat on his shoe. "Make up your mind woman!"

"It's not that simple," you look away fearfully. Searching through the ocean waters before returning his gaze. "Listen, you don't understand. This isn't meant to happen, you and your siblings need to leave now." you usher the sweet commander with urgency.

Katakuri couldn't make sense of your change of personality. During the entire fight you remained calm and collected, you didn't burst in frustration and anger despite his own mocking and ruthless beating, but now you were panicking and uncertain.

"No, you're the one who doesn't understand," Katakuri threatened. "I'm giving you a chance to join us willingly, you'll become part of the big mom pirates either you like it or not. I can't let a fighter of your caliber go unchecked."

At one part you feel flattered, but on the other you're growing mad at his tone, but you're also both fearing for his life and having your stomach churn with anxiety.

Either way, you stood your ground, raising your fists in defense.

Katakuri took a similar stance, ready to fight and drag you to his ship.

However, what he didn't realize was that you weren't defending against him.

Canon balls exploded at the ground near the both of you, rubble flying everywhere as you try to block it off. But canons weren't the only thing being shot, there was some heavy firepower shot towards you, something like a missile weapon. Katakuri's first reaction was to create a defensive mochi wall to shield the both you, but the heat from the explosion was melting the deteriorating state of his devil fruit.

This isn't the best time undergoing an external attack.

"YOU HAVE TO LEAVE NOW!" you shout aggressively at the man.