24. Owe Me A Favor

You grimace at the overbearing smell of disinfectant and alcohol, unable to see anything due to the bandages wrapped around your head, covering your now healing eyes.

"You still here?" you ask with a yawn. Waking up from a quick nap.

Katakuri sat on a chair inside the room with you, a leg crossed over his knee.

"Still here," Katakuri responds.

"So, what are you now? My jailer, my bodyguard," you pause for a moment. "My nurse~?" you muse to yourself.

"I'm still your ally, or at least for the next 12 hours."

"I see," you chuckle. "Get it? Cause I can't... Oh forget about it." you sigh.

The silence is too eerie for you. To the point, you can hear that annoying beep noise in your ear. It makes you feel uneasy. You heavily depend on your devil fruit since you were a kid, so there's a sense of vulnerability at being unable to use it nor to see your surroundings. Unconciously starting to nerve you, gripping and releasing the sheets in your hands.

Katakuri caught on to your behaviour.

"Restless?" Katakuri asked.

"A little, I can't stand everything being so... dark. The silence isn't helping either, you're terrible at chitchat." you poke fun at him.

He scoffs lightly.

"You wanna talk? Alright, then answer me this," Katakuri leaned back in his chair, closing his eyes as he pondered. "Why did you help me? I thought you didn't want to get involved with Doflamingo." Katakuri asks you sternly, reopening his eyes.

It's something that has been bugging him all day.

"Oh, that? Well... I knew you'd get into some deep trouble when he called. And uh, Doflamingo isn't exactly well known for taking care of his toys," you trailed off for a moment.

"But that doesn't answer my question, why risk yourself?"

"...Because I wanted to."

"That doesn't make sense, you're just contradicting yourself." Katakuri talked you down like a kid.

And it ticked you off.

"Watch it. You're making it sound like I'm the careless one here," you defend yourself. "May I remind you that I was the one who warned you about causing a mess?" you said matter of factly.

"I had everything under control." Katakuri stubbornly crossed his arms over his chest.

"Oi, if it wasn't for me you'll still be dancing around like a puppet!"

"If it wasn't for me you wouldn't be in the state you are!" Katakuri raised his voice, feeling a bit guilty. "How am I supposed to have a fair fight with you if you go blind?"

The atmosphere went silent again.

"Oh please, I can take you down with my eyes closed," you add jokingly. Hoping it would change the mood.

"Is that a challenge?" Katakuri leans forward with interest.

You reply without missing a beat. "Hell yeah! let's do this right now," you said in an eager tone.

Katakuri relaxed in his seat, the sound he made was one you haven't heard from him in a while.

Laughter.

He found amusement in your company.

"As tempting as that offer sounds I'll pass, I'd rather confront you in tip-top condition." he waved his hand.