7. Helping Hand

Katakuri paced back and forth. Glancing at the candy door with uncertainty plastered over the features under his scarf. The sweet commander shook his head. This is ridiculous. He kept telling himself. Katakuri has faced stronger and fearsome enemies before, and yet here he is, nervous about confronting his sister about matters of the heart.

Katakuri brushed his knuckles against the candy door, subtly knocking on it before taking a step back.

"Who is it? What do you want-? " the grouchy voice from the other side of the door asked. Opening the door to reveal a surprised Brulee in her pajamas. "Katakuri!" the witch-like woman chimed happily.

"Greetings Brulee." he nods.

"What are you doing standing out here in the cold? Come on in." she stepped aside to allow the taller man inside her home.

"I thought mama sent you out in a week-long mission?"

"She did, I came back a few hours ago," Katakuri explained.

The large man plopped down on one of the chairs at the dining table, miraculously it didn't break under his weight, but then again Brulee is a tall woman too.

"You must be exhausted."

"I'm not ex-" Katakuri stopped in his tracks after noticing the look on Brulee's face. "Okay, maybe a little," he added.

"I thought so." Brulee smiled knowingly.

She busied herself in the kitchen by placing a teapot on the stove, meanwhile, Katakuri made himself comfortable, taking a seat at the table and even removing the scarf from his face.

"Alright, enough small talk. Spill the jellybeans brother." the witchy woman crossed her arms over her chest, leaning her back against the oven.

"What? Can't I come and visit my beloved sister once in a while?" Katakuri defends, but Brulee could only stare back with a skeptic look.

She knows him better than anyone in the family, even mama herself. "Not after a long mission. You would be at your manor by now, so there's something on your mind," she says knowingly, heading to take a seat opposite Katakuri's. "Talk to me, you know I can keep a secret." Brulee smiles sweetly at her older brother.

Katakuri sighs, he can't say no to that precious smile. The eldest cleared his throat before speaking. "It's nothing too serious. In the meeting we had last week at the Chateau, Raisin came up to me and asked me for advice to catch a girl's interest." Katakuri purposely leaned on the table, resting his head on his hand in an attempt to look disinterested. "I have better things to do than focus on trivial matters. But I'm his older brother, I should at least give him some pointers so he doesn't make a fool of himself," he adds with a wave of his hand.

This attracted Brulee's attention, raising a thin eyebrow in amusement. "Soo, out of all our sisters you came to me for advice~?" Brulee repeats with way too much enthusiasm Katakuri expected.

It's too late for him to realize this is probably a bad idea. "For Raisin, of course." Katakuri coughs in his fist while looking away.

"Right, right" she nods. "You came to the right person, I'm an expert in these kinds of things." Brulee bluffs.

"But you've never dated someone before..." Katakuri jabs knowingly, making Brulee pout like a child.

"Not yet! But I'm preparing for when I do." she snaps, her pride slowly deflating like a balloon. Slumping back into her chair with a flick of a wrist. "Fine, fine. Give me more details, I need to know the full story." she cuts to the chase.

"The full story-?" Katakuri felt a drop of sweat on the nape of his neck. He puts on a strict appearance, trying to disguise the fact he didn't fully think of a realistic lie. "You see, 'Raisin' has been feeling drawn to this girl he has been seeing lately. He meets up with her frequently and they just have light conversations. I... He wants to know what would be a good way to get closer to her in a more personal matter." Katakuri explained.