Chapter 22

I was still pacing the hallways nearly two hours later. This was a reasonably minor operation, it wasn't meant to take this long, so what the fuck was going on?

"Here, you look like you need a tension relief," Luke approached me, holding out what looked and smelled like a hot chocolate, which I thanked him for, taking a sip.

"He'll be ok," Luke reassured, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and giving me a small hug.

"You're right! Appendicitis isn't serious! Anyone can get it," I mumbled, reassuring myself more than anything.

Michael and Calum had joined us in the hall outside the operating room not long after, tired looks etched onto their faces.

"Any news?" Calum asked softly, and I shook my head, looking down at the scuffed toes of my Vans. Just then, a doctor in not-so-clean scrubs rushed out from the operating room where they had been operating on my Ashton.

"Are you all here for Ashton Irwin?" She asked hurriedly, and my mind was too busy running over possible scenarios to answer her.

"Yeah we are," Michael calmly spoke up. The nurse relaxed a little, and sighed before continuing.

"Everything seems to have gone fine with Mr Irwin's surgery, although the surgeon believes he may have tapped his spinal vertebrae, but we won't know until Ashton wakes up," She rushed out, and I looked up to her, tears brimming in eyes.

"What do you mean you won't know until he wakes up?" I nearly screamed, my voice breaking with each few syllables.

"Please calm down, it's probably nothing to worry about. Mr Irwin should be coming around in about an hour, so you should make your way back to his room," The nurse concluded, before leaving the room again.

~One Hour Later~

We had been sat in the waiting room while the doctors just made sure Ash was okay. We all took our turns pacing around, non of us could sit down for more the a few minutes without getting up or almost flipping the chair over in frustration. Ugh!

"Mr Irwin is starting to come around if you would like to come through now." The doctor we spoke to earlier came from the room where my baby was lying.

Immediately all of us jumped from our abused seats and ran to the room all of us trying to squeeze through at the same time.

Ashton was lying completely still his hair standing out against the pure white sheets of the hospital bed. His skin wasn't the tan colour it normally with held. He was a pale grey colour, but I could see it ever so slowly change. The sight before me made my heart shattering Into millions of pieces. He looked so fragile.

I let out a choked sob I had been trying to hold back and Calum rushed over still glancing at Ashton and pulled me into a warm and comforting hug.

But the only person I wanted to hug was Ash. I shook Calum of and he reluctantly let go.

I shuffled forward towards the side of his bed dropping into the chair next to him. His curly hair had been wiped of his forehead, his long arms were layed down his side out of the sheet that had been placed over him. There was a small tube going into his arm feeding in some sort of medical liquid.

I wanted so badly to feel his skin, to slide my hand into his but I was frightened I would brake him. I would call him as fragile as a China doll but he is so more than that. To me he was the earth.

I could see his eyes start to move under his eye lids. I completely forgot about breaking him I just rammed my hand into his hoping I didn't hurt him.

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief when Ashton's eyes gently and ever so elegantly opened.

"Oh Ashton!" I cried out gripping his hand tighter and he turned head his head to look at me.

His hazel eyes flew over my face and a smile washed over his face and then disappeared just as fast as it came. He glanced down at my hand in his, strangely he hadn't threaded his long fingers through mine like he normally does so I did it.

"Ash." Luke sighed.

"You okay?" I sniffed burying my head in his neck. Ashton's breathing began to speed up really quickly so I looked up in panic to his sudden change.

"I- I- Iz..." Ash cried out. Shiny tears tipped from his deep hazel eyes and ran down his now rosy cheeks.

"Ash, are you okay?" Michael asked I could hear the frown in his voice as I refused to take my eyes away from his. They were filled with fear and panic...

Is this to do with the spine thing?

"What's wrong?" I rushed out gripping his hand harder. His adorable eyes widened and the hazel changed slightly to a deep deep brown. His skin paled more as he came to a realisation.

"I can't- I- I- can't feel your hand Iz." His bottom lip trembled more. What?!

"Why- why can't I- I move my hands?" The tears were falling from his pained pupils like Niagara Falls.

"W-what?" I stuttered.

"G-get a doctor!" I turned to Calum who was stood nearest the door. He ran from the room to find a doctor.

"Iz! I can't feel your hand! Iz! Why can't I feel you! I- what? No!" He rambled out all in one.

He looked so scared, I had no idea what to do. How do I comfort someone who can't feel me?

"It's okay. You'll be okay. The doctors will fix it." I reassured him but it hardly worked because more tears fell across his beautiful face.

It hurt me physically to see him so hurt. Only being with him for a short time but I have fallen so in love with him it hurts when he hurts. I could never even imagine how frightened he must be, but I am frightened for him.

"Mr Irwin." The doctor announced her presence in the room.

"What's wrong with me?!" He almost shouted. But the doctor didn't look startled at all.

"Can you wiggle your toes for me Ashton." She moved to the end of the bed and moved the sheet to see Ashton's frozen still toes.

"Are you moving them?"

"I'm trying!" Ash nearly shouted. I could see his concentration and anger painting his face. He was about to blow up on this doctor at any minute.

"Well try harder!" She pushed, and then that's when I had enough.

"You're not helping, get a different doctor," I snapped, causing her face to turn red.

"You have no authority to talk to me like that, I just saved your boyfriend's life!" She said mockingly, sizing me up.

Without saying a word, I gently let go of Ashton's unresponsive hand, standing up straight, easily two feet taller than the short doctor. I had always been tall, but it was never a problem with these boys, since they were all extremely tall. I walked over to the nurse, looking down at her in disgust.

"You may have saved his life, but in the process you have ruptured his spinal cavity. You are forcing him to complete an action that it's obvious he can't. Now, if you don't mind, I want a different doctor to treat him, since you couldn't carry out a textbook procedure such as an appendix removal without causing more damage."

I turned around, walking back over to Ashton and taking his hand in min again, smiling smugly at the doctor who had become a stuttering mess at the doorway.

"Nice one, Iz!" Luke chuckled as the unwanted doctor dashed away.

"No one treats you that way and gets away with it," I smiled down at Ashton, placing a kiss on his clammy forehead.