9. The In-Laws

Finnegan and Brandon took a shower before getting dressed to meet the former's parents. Bran already had clothes in Finn's closet, something he was shocked to see on his second day at the house. Finn had bought him clothes before he arrived for his job.

"Don't be nervous," Finn said as he helped Bran fasten the buttons of his red shirt. Finn wore a navy blue one. Both of them were wearing matching fitted jeans.

"I can't help it," said Bran as he looked up to the handsome man before him.

"Just stay close to me and we'll be alright."

"Okay," Bran said as he nodded ans smiled sheepishly.

"That's my baby boy." Finn kissed the tip of Bran's nose, his forehead, and lingered there for a few seconds.

He wasn't scared. He was worried that someway, somehow, Bran would be taken away from him. He couldn't afford to be scared. He will fight for his relationship.

Upon stepping into the living room, Finnegan was greeted by one of his staff, Mrs. Jane.

"Your parents are in the dining hall, Sir Finnegan, Sir Brandon," she said, looking from one man to another. "They're waiting for the two of you."

"Thanks, Mrs. Jane." Finnegan dismissed the staff after thanking her. He turned to Bran and tightened his hold on the latter's hand. "It's okay, love. I'm here."

Bran nodded, biting his bottom lip as he leaned his body against his lover.

The reached the dining hall and Bran's eyes widened when he saw the people seated at the table. "M-Mom? Dad?"

"Take a seat, both of you." Finley motioned the young couple to the table.

Finnegan pulled a seat for Bran and himself as well before they sat down next to each other. He took Bran's hand under the table as squeezed it softly, reassuring him of his presence. 'I'm here, love...'

"Let's eat."

The words from Finnegan's father turned into a ticking time bomb as the six figures began their meal. The room was filled with tension even as the two sets of parents casually talked about random things.

"Our new neighbor wanted me to go shopping. That silly woman," Zia James chimed.

"You two aren't even close!" Gianna chuckled loudly.

"I know, right? They just moved in. Like, how dare her."

"Wasn't she the same person Alex said asked you to adopt one of their cats?" Finley asked.

"Oh, yeah," Bran's mother nodded. "It's cute so we did."

"Plus a bonus," Alex added.

"Bonus?" Finley asked.

"It had a girlfriend so we took her in, too," Zia answered for her husband of a few words. "They wouldn't separate."

"Really?" Gianna chimed, her voice laced with hidden meaning. "I wonder if they would elope too if you force them to separate..."

"The girlfriend bit me once," Bran's mother said. Bran grimaced at it. He saw what happened weeks ago when the orange tabby bit his mother's finger for picking up the other cat.

"That's not right," Finn's mother said as she put down her fork. "They should be taught a lesson."

"Mother!" Finn, unable to take anymore tension and shading from his mother, snapped. "Can we just get this over with?"

"Oh, look. The girlfriend cat wants to bite me," Finn's mother casually commented.

"Mo--"

"Ah, fine." Gianna gently wiped the side of hr lips with a table napkin and got out of her seat. Her husband followed suit. Finley gave Bran's parent a knowing look before the two also followed them.