Chapter 13~Just A Year

It's been one year since my parents got divorced, just one year. In one year, my mom had found another man, younger than her and with more money than my father. She basically lived thanks to him and everything she had was because of him.
In just a year, my father became a complete mess. He got drunk every two days, he didn't go on tour so All Time Low was not a thing anymore and he had spent all his money on alcohol so he was now living in a small apartment somewhere in Baltimore.
What about me? I left home half a year ago. When my parents got divorced, I had to live with my mom although I wanted to live with my dad. We even had a trial over who I wanted to live with but with the constant touring of my dad, I had to stay with Lisa. I was okay until she brought home Jacob, her new boyfriend. He treated me as if I was dog shit and my mom didn't care. What kind of mother is that? Remember that I told you that Hayden was going to ruin my life? Well, he did. Get a chair and sit down because this might take a while to explain.

2 Months Before

"Hayden" I called him from the kitchen. "Did you buy those chips I told you about a few days ago?" I was looking through what he had just bought on the grocery store as he changed into his pyjama.
"I think so, sweetheart" I smiled. It made me smile when I heard him calling me those names.
Sorry, I complete forgot to tell you. I moved to Boston when I started university. I was now studying psychology and when I told Hayden I was leaving, he said he was moving in with me.
He came into the kitchen and pecked my lips.
"Don't open the chips, I want to try them and I know you're going to eat them all. I have to go to work" He started placing everything on its place as I stared him while sitting on the kitchen counter.
"Are you saying that I eat a lot?" I asked him.
"Uh... Maybe, just maybe" I turned his head a bit and smiled.
I had a bad feeling, as if something bad was going to happen. Recently, I had been feeling nauseous in the morning and it was true that I had been eating more lately. I hadn't had my period yet but I couldn't be pregnant, right?
When all this thoughts crossed my mind, I went to the living room so Hayden couldn't see my worried face. I was having a rough time at work and I didn't want to worry him unnecessarily.
"Shit Beth, when was the last time you got your period? You're an idiot, you can't even remember this" I thought to myself.
Then I felt a hand on my shoulder.
"Hey babe, are you okay?" Hayden. I have to tell you that he was an absolute sweetheart and I couldn't ask for a better boyfriend.
"Yes, I'm just really tired. I think I'm going to take a nap when you go to work" I gave him a sweet kiss. Lie, big lie. As soon as he left for work, I went out to get a pregnancy test.
Hayden work as a veterinarian and he had the night shift so I had enough time by myself to figure out what was wrong with me. I mean, it was pretty obvious but I didn't have a kid, not yet.
When I came home, after buying the test, I took it. After waiting for a few minutes, I looked to the small stick and positive.
"Holy shit" I sat down in the bathroom floor and hid my face in my hands as I tried to remember when was the last time Hayden and I had sex without protection.
"I stopped taking the pill about 2 months ago because I can't take it with the anxiety medication but... We have not..." I was whispering, I couldn't have that baby. It was going to ruin our lives. We had been together for what? 5 months?
"We went to the party... I was drunk... I was really really drunk" I wasn't able to remember that party well enough. "I... I was dancing with Hayden... I remember walking into a room with him..." My heart stopped as my thoughts started to get clear. "He... He gave something... We took something. Drugs, we took drugs. I said no, I kept saying no" I started crying. "He forced me into doing it... He forced me to take drugs... I didn't even want to go the party..." The world started spinning. "No no no, Hayden didn't do that. He... He is an angel, he has been a sweetheart. He has been helping me with everything... He is..." I couldn't keep talking, I was drowning in my own tears. I started shouting, I shouted my lungs out for five minutes. I swear he had been the best boyfriend ever.
When he came home early in the morning, he smelt like whiskey.
" He said he was going to work" I thought.
He smelt of perfume, of Lady Million, a perfume for girls. I wasn't able to sleep and now he came home with that bullshit.
"Hey babe, are you awake? It's five in the morning" He took his shirt off and then kissed my cheek. "Have you been crying my girl?" He sat on the border of the bed to look closer at my face. "What is wrong?"
"Where have you been?" I managed to say with in a whisper and with my voice all broken.
He sighed. "At work, I told you at least twice"
"I don't believe it" I started crying again. "What did you gave me at your friend's party?"
"What are you saying babe? You're just tired, go to sleep". He was angry, I knew it. He stood up and took his jeans off.
"Just fucking answer me" I sat down and looked at him. "I know you gave me something, just tell me what was it"
"It was nothing, okay? Just go to sleep and stop being annoying and paranoic" He said in a loud voice. I got scared, I hadn't seen him that way, he hadn't raised his voice in the 5 months we had been together.
"Hayden please, just please... Tell me what is... I'm-I'm pregnant and you're cheating on me and this is the least you can do" I was officially crying my eyes out. Hayden back got tense when he heard the word pregnant. He turned around with a worried face.
"You can't have it. We're done here" He started dressing up again and taking his things into a suitcase. I opened my eyes wide, what the fuck was happening here?
"Hayden? Hayden stop" I followed him as he took his things. "What are you doing? This... This was a mistake but we can... We can make it through this... We'll... I'll get an abortion and we'll continue being us" I was shocked, where was the sweet Hayden I had been dating?
He didn't answer, he kept taking his things and putting them in a suitcase.
"Hayden" I yelled. He then stopped and sighted. "Can you please tell me what is happening? Why are you dumping me?"
"You-I-We..." Hayden sighed again. He was nervous, he couldn't stop moving and I knew he couldn't think of anything to say. "Look, I'm in a really bad place and I've met this people. They're dangerous but we have money thanks to them... And I messed up and I can't stay here and... Shit" And with that, he took the last things and closed the suitcase.
"You're not leaving without a clear explanation" I was now worried and angry at the guy I thought I knew.
"Beth" I was standing up in our bedroom door. He came close to me and rest his forehead on mine as he had done nearly everyday. We both closed our eyes and took a deep breath. After several seconds of silence, he talked.
"I love you. I really do. I've been in love with you since the day I met you and I owe you an explanation but you have to promise me you're not going to tell anyone, specially not my parents" I nodded. He was whispering and we were so close that his warm breath was drying my tears. "I moved in with you and we didn't have money and I told you I got a job as a veterinarian. It's a lie. I'm sorry. I'm in... In a group of... Shit, I'm a drug dealer" He let those words sink in the air as I tried to process everything. "To get into the band... The told me I had to be ready to do anything so" I swallowed and sighed, then he kissed my forehead for a while. After that, he stepped back and looked into my eyes. "My first challenge was stealing, not anything big, just a small bag of an old woman... My second challenge was just having sex with a woman of the group... She has been forcing me for a long time now and... I've cheating on you with her" He looked down but I knew the worst thing was about to come. "My last challenge was a month ago, at the party. I had to rape you" I opened my mouth wide. Why the fuck did he accept to do that? "I tried to do other things but they wouldn't let me. I had to be prepared for everything, even for hurting you so I did. I forced you to take some heroin and I got you drunk and then..."
"I want you out" I interrupted him. I just nodded and walked out. He understood what he had done was wrong and he had to leave.

One year after that, present time

So here you have me, I got the abortion, I left university, my mom doesn't want to see me, my father doesn't answer my calls and I'm addicted to heroin.