Chapterish 7

. . .

It's been two days. I've been enjoying the sunshine and the fresh tan it gives me. Catching rays all day. Trix and Meg have been over the last two days. Right now, we're lounging poolside at my parents' house. My phone is hooked up to our stereo. Full blast.

"This is nice," Trix says. She tosses the suntan lotion bottle on the tile next to her lounge chair.

"I know," Meg says.

"Mhmm." I don't even open my eyes. Don't want to disturb the warmth of the sun on my skin. Omg.

"Didn't you just miss this? Didn't you miss us so much?" Trix's singsong voice floats over to my chair.

"Course I did." I answer.

"Yea, so much it took you a hundred years to come back and visit us." Meg teases.

"Shut up." I roll over on my chaise lounge.

"Oh come on," Meg laughs.

"You know why I didn't come home, Meg."

"Yea, she knows." Trix chimes in. "We both know."

My eyes wander past Trix and Meg –past the unicorn and flamingo heads floating in the pool. They find the speckled surface of the water, the sunlight reflecting off it like there are coins hidden on the bottom.

The spot next to the pool is our new home. The lounges have little impressions of our perfect butts from sitting in them for the last two days straight. The umbrella is down and out of the way. It smells like watermelon and sunscreen, coconuts and chlorine. Smells vaguely like disappointment.

Am I disappointed? What did I expect from seeing him again? What do you expect from a reunion nine years in the making?

"I could just sit here all day every day," Trix says, slipping into the pool. She tilts her head back, sunnies on.

"You're welcome to use it after I leave." I stand up and walk to the edge of the pool. I sit down next to Trix and let my legs fall in over the side.

"Yea?" She asks.

"Totally. Kathy and Frank would love to have someone use the pool," I say. My toes stretch into the water. I lock the flamingo raft between my toes and pull it to me.

"Awesome," Trix says. She walks into the shallow end.

"Man, I wanna tan topless. Why can't it be socially acceptable to tan topless?" Meg unties her bikini and tucks in the straps, exposing her shoulders.

"Go for it. It's just us," I shrug.

"Well," Trix says, scrunching up her nose.

"Trix?" I look at her over my shades.

"Emmy?" She says, looking away.

"Trix, come on."

"Ok. OK! I maybe told Travis to stop by later." Trix gives me a sorry look. "I'm sure he'll be alone."

"I.... don't think so," Meg adds. She shrugs. "I know Nate is with him. Maybe Alex and Brooks."

"You guys," I sigh. "Come on. I don't want to see him. He's –I fucking hate him."

"Ya, I've heard," Trix exclaims. "Maybe he won't come. I'm sure he won't," Trix says, biting her lip.

"Yea, you seem really sure."

"Is it that bad?" Meg asks. "Just don't talk to him, ya know?"

"I don't want to be anywhere near him even," I sigh.