Chapterish 12

We step into the night, leaving the hot crowded confines of the Sandbar behind us. It crosses my mind that everyone we just left behind inside is 100% aware of what we're about to do -of what we left the bar to do. It also crosses my mind not to give a fuck. I owe them nothing.

The moon is bright in the clear sky above. Brooks and I stroll the promenade; the live music fades into the sound of the waves. There's a beach entrance twenty feet down from the bar. We pull off our shoes and let them dangle at our side. Brooks pulls me by the hand, down the sandy lane and past the winding dunes.

It's a steamy night, the air still warm from the day's sun. The sand is almost still warm beneath our toes. There's no one around –no one on the beach. The last couple we passed was walking along the promenade in the opposite direction.

I'm unconcerned. In fact, I'm thankful for the vacant beach. I want Brooks all to myself.

"Cabana?" He asks, raising his eyebrows? "Don't worry. I know the hotel owner."

He laughs and I can't help but join.

I follow him to the patch of sand that's dotted with white and yellow striped canopies. They're just like I remember them –when we used to run around and hide under them as kids –when we tried to sneak into the empty ones in high school when we started dating. My heart races as we approach.

He stops at the one nearest us. A high dune protects the backside; the sides are covered by sheer hanging curtains. The front is open facing the ocean. A queen cot is slightly elevated on a raised platform in the middle of the space. Square white pillows line the edge of the bed.

We stop in the doorway. Our silhouettes cast a shadow onto the cot. We stand so close it appears to be the shadow of one person. Why the hell am I finding our conjoined silhouette attractive right now?

"Em," he breathes.

Brooks reaches for me and wraps his hands around my waist. I extend my arms and find his hair again, twisting it in my palms. Fuck he tastes good.

Brooks moves his hands over my waist and down over my ass and under the edge of my cover-up dress. He grips my cheeks, pulling my pelvic *region* against his. My mouth is watering. The kisses are so deep and so passionate it's like we are breathing each other's exhale.

Guess it's why I can hardly breathe.

I'm not mad about it. I'd let his carbon dioxide kill me.

We back into the cabana, inching closer to the cot by the second. It looks like the most inviting and hospitable cabana I've ever seen. Brooks pulls my ass and lifts me up to his waist. I wrap my legs around to steady myself. He carries me the rest of the way to the bed. He sits down on the edge and settles me on my feet in front of him. His head rests right against my chest. It's filled out a bit since the last time we did this. He kisses my bellybutton.

"I want you." Brooks groans between kisses.

"You have me," I tell him.

Really, isn't it obvious? C'mon Brooks.

"It's been so long." He pulls at the tie on the back of my dress.

"Years." I agree, breathing heavily. My body is starting to find its natural arch again.

"You sure about this?" Brooks asks.

I don't answer, but only lean farther into him.

I pull the tank over his head and graze my fingers along his chest and arms and abs. Holy shit. It hurts. He tugs the dress down over my shoulders and hips. My electric blue bikini is still glued to my body from earlier. It still smells like the coconut sunscreen and the ocean that tried to wash it off.