Chapterish 20

Hi! Are you loving OMT? Please vote ⭐️ and share and tag all your friends!

...

THE LAST PARTY

I roll over in bed –my empty bed –and my first thought of the morning is: The carnival is tomorrow.

We're all going in typical fashion: together. The group. The old-turned-new again group. I'm not mad about it. It just seems very public. After all, this carnival is held for the town, by the town, in front of the entire town.

I can't help but panic a bit. This is it. The summer is really almost over this time. I can't put off going back to Seattle any longer. I've left Zoë high and dry these last three weeks, relying on her so much. It's unfair. It's irresponsible. And it's all for one reason. One person.

The thought of leaving him actually causes my stomach to tie into knots. Not like cute butterflies-are-swarming knots, but like intense ones made from sailor's ropes and with hooks that tear up my insides. Painful knots. As I sit on my bed and comb out my wet hair, I can't help but enjoy the knots.

They mean this was all real. He's still real. And I'm going to leave him this time. Just need to somehow become strong enough to do so in the next 24 hours.

My phone buzzes against my leg somewhere beneath my sheets. Love losing my phone in my bed and playing hide and seek with it in the morning. It doesn't even matter that I'm currently pissed at Brooks. I still hope it's him.

BEACH @ 10! 

DECK 2NITE

Trix and Meg's messages come through almost simultaneously. It means they're already together. I click my phone close and look at the time. 9:33 AM. Thanks for the notice, girls.

I drag myself out of bed and search for my bikini. My stomach still feels sick from my last conversation with Brooks. The beach is OK, but a deck party tonight? Somehow it's unappealing now. Seeing him is unappealing now. Wonder how long this feeling can last.

I punch back to Trix.

C U @ 10

<3 <3 <3 Hearts from Trix.

...

Well, we beached. For like six solid hours and now it's just after 4 PM. Pissed they made me leave. I need to be soaking in every last bit of east-coast sun possible before tomorrow. What I don't need to be doing is getting changed for a party at Back Bay.

"I might skip out tonight. Big day tomorrow," I say, stuffing my beach tote into Trix's trunk.

"No," Meg says, shaking her head.

"Oh stop," Trix whines. "It's going to be fun. And if it's not, then we'll all leave."

"Yea, don't let some dick ruin your almost last night in town," Meg nods.

"Ugh," I sigh loudly.

I ignore them both on the way back, enjoying the solitude of the back seat. We stop for food in town and then go back to my house to eat and relax before we go to Travis's tonight.

Showers all around.

"Do I have to?" I whine, three hours later.

"Yes, now shut up." Meg brushes out her wet hair.

"But I don't–"

"Want to see him? We knowww. Spare us the monologue," she says.

"Rude."