Chapterish 25

Hi lovelies!!! Thank you all for still reading! Please continue voting and sharing. Srsly tell everyone you know who seems like they need some extra spicy smut in their life <333

...

| SEATTLE |

HALLOWEEN

"No seriously, you hang up." I laugh into my portable Internet box.

"No, YOU!" Brooks says back to me.

Yes, we're having this argument. The very nonsensical you hang up first argument.

"Brooks," I sigh.

"OK. OK. I will hang up if you agree." Brooks finally says. I can practically see the smirk on his face.

"No way! I won't give in that easily." I say. This has been my answer every time he has asked to visit me. I keep denying him, saying it as if I have the power to ban him from stepping foot in Seattle.

"Tell me you're still thinking about it," Brooks laughs.

"Maybe thinking," I say, smirking to myself. I stop just out front of Go Zen. Zoë waves at me from the windows, where she's currently rearranging the spider webs I hung up. I hold up two coffees and she gives me a thumb up.

"Em?" I hear Brooks on the other end.

"OK. I actually have to go now. Duty calls." I don't wait for his response. It's what we do. We hang up on each other. We're not big on goodbyes, the two of us.

It started on our first call. I was walking into my loft and dropped my phone and accidentally hung up on him. I called him back later that night and he said he liked it. It wasn't final –like hanging up the phone without ending the conversation was somehow proof there would be another conversation.

And another.

Every now and then we video chat... until 3 AM.

But it's not the norm. We aren't dating. God, what a terrible word. I don't even like thinking it. It's a scary word. But today is meant for scary.

SPOOK SZN.

It's spooky season. No, the zenith of spooky season, the culmination of a month's worth of spook. It is Halloween.

First up tonight is a costume party at some bar in center city. I am meeting up with Zoë before at her friend's apartment. We coordinated. We're going as Catdog. NO weird human centipede shit going on. I'm cat. She's dog. We're cute.

I'm not like a cat cat. Think cat meets sexy cat meets stilettos.

I bought this skin-tight black leather bodysuit, matching black stiletto boots, pointed ears and belt that doubles as a tail. I used my eyeliner to paint a cute button nose on my own, complete with whiskers. OK, so it's a pretty standard cat costume.

I get to her friend's place –some huge apartment in a high-rise downtown. I've only been here once before for a pregame. It's sick. Also sick: The blood (festive) orange martini someone puts in my hand when I walk through the door.

"Sweet cat," the guy says, walking past me.

"Thanks," I say, "and for this." I raise up the martini in a cheers kind of way and sip it.

Immediately this 'pregame' looks more like a full-on party. An entire bar is set up directly inside the door. I am assuming this is so that no one walks around empty handed. Thank God. There's got to be a fog machine in here somewhere; the dense air is pressing against the glass walls like hot steam fogging a shower. I walk further into the apartment, under strobe lights (in lieu of regular ones).

It's got all the trappings of a festive Halloween party: Faux spider cobwebs draping the tables, women (and some men) in aggressively slutty costumes, and tons of booze. There's candy too. I reach the kitchen and find a fairy I recognize mixing a batch of punch. She owns this palace.

"Witches' Brew," she says, indicating the neon red colored liquid.

"Yum," I nod.

"You're Zoë's friend, Emmy, right?" She asks.

"Yes, hi. You're Tinker Bell, right?" I smirk.

"Yes! Thank you! My boyfriend says I'm not a fairy." She rolls her eyes, stirring the pot.

"That's because men are clueless," I say without catching myself. She just laughs.

"I'm Sophie."

"Great party, Sophie," I say, sipping my blood again.

"Thanks, just a pregame," she says.

I watch her pour in a pouch of Pop Rocks and a crackling issues from the brew. Def trying this shit later.

"Hell of a pregame."

"Oh, good Em you're here!" Zoë enters the kitchen with two other people.

"ZOË! Oh my god!" I yell. I look her up and down twice. "You were supposed to be dog!"

"Oh my –no fucking way. Why would I be dog? Hello?" She says, arms crossed staring at me.

"Um, because I am cat!" I laugh.

"Well, now we match, anyway." Zoë throws her arm around me, so we are next to each other.

We do match, almost to a T. She's got a black bodysuit too, but hers has short sleeves, and leather boots She has a pink nose instead of black and a weird glittery eye makeup thing going on. But other than that, yup we are basically twinning.

Zoë introduces me to the other two girls she brought: Devil & Angel (their costumes, not their actual names). After a quick tour of the rest of the place and one more blood martini, I am already feeling it. The spook.

There must be at least 50 people at this pregame. Everyone is dressed up, the guys too. I've already seen five NBA players, three pirates, two Power Rangers, and one dude who dressed up as 'a catch'. Catch & release maybe.