Chapterish 58

Brooks and I are alone and for the first time since we got to Vail I'm unsure of the look that's on his face –the look that's in his eyes.

"That was rude," I say, crossing my hands over my chest.

"Whatever," he says, shrugging.

Great.

I wondered which version of Brooks he would be tonight. Playful? Flirty? Horny? Pissed?

I cross the floor to Brooks and reach for his coat. He backs up ever so slightly I almost don't catch it.

"What's wrong?" I ask him.

"What were you two doing in here?" He asks, his voice dangerously close to accusing me of something. I'll kill him.

"I was in here looking at the bookcase when he came in and we started oh my god, shield your ears, TALKING."

"He just came in?" Brooks asks, like he can't believe anyone would enter the same room as me. "He didn't follow you in here?"

"Don't be fucking weird." I shrug his hand off me.

"Don't make it fucking weird," he says. His mouth stretches into a thin line.

"I wasn't!"

"His hands were on you," Brooks states, like this should be an obvious offense. "He was all over you."

"Oh my god, Brooks. Please." I push into him again. "Are you kidding ME?"

"He wants you," he declares, like it's some type of punishable crime. I can hear the jealous in his voice.

"No, he doesn't," I whisper, trying to keep myself from laughing at him. I give him a look that reads plainly: You have zero right to give me shit right now.

"You heard him downstairs," he accuses.

"You're right I did," I nod. I can't keep the sour taste from seeping into my words. "Heard him ask the question. Saw you answer."

"Em," he sighs. "I wanted to tell you. He knew I hadn't told you and–"

"It was a game." I am sure to extra stress the word. "Plus I don't care. It's not like I thought you were alone all these years. It wasn't me who asked for a number, remember?"

"Funny," Brooks says.

I don't know why it's not bothering me anymore, but seeing him in front of me visibly tense hurts. So what if he once hooked up with Katie? She's just another girl. One of many, I'm sure. I have a pretty full closet too.

"Do you like him? Do you like Alex?" Brooks's question brings me back to him. His voice sounds strained.

"Do I like him? Do I like him?" I repeat, laughing. "Do you even hear yourself right now?"

"Answering a question with a question. Classic." He purses his lips.

"My GOD! You're an ass!" I throw my hands up.

"And you're a bitch. Back to where we started," Brooks says, folding his arms. He watched me for a minute. I'm already furious with him and his cold silent treatment isn't helping ease the tension between us.

"Well?" I finally ask. Not sure what I'm waiting for though.

"Do you find him attractive?" He asks.

How old am I right now? How old are we?

"Yes! OK. Is that what you need to hear? That I find him attractive? I do. Always have. Alex is hot. Do you find him attractive?" I want to keep going but Brooks covers my mouth with his hand to stop me.

"Enough." He steps back.

"What? You don't think Trix and Meg are hot? I know you think Katie's hot." I think of him and that look on his face during the game.

"That's not it," he grunts. Detached Brooks. That's who I get right now. But that's not who I want to end the year with.

"Then what is it? You just being ridiculous again? Deciding to flip the switch again? Alex is my friend. He's YOUR friend too! Like what the fuck?"

"I'm –I just should have told you. I wanted to tell you, but I didn't. And Alex saw the chance to and took it." He looks away from me. "I'm sorry Em."

"Hey," I mumble, his bottom lip between my teeth. "It's Daisy to you."

I can almost feel him roll his eyes above me, but he gives in. He opens his mouth and yields to my kiss and then his hands are on me, all over me. I moan quietly between the kisses. He steps backwards, pulling me with him. We are so close we may as well be glued together.

We may as well be one person.

I feel him bump into the door. It clicks shut behind him and he turns the old lock on the knob. My chest heaves with excitement. Brooks moves us to the corner. The shaded lamp casts an eerie glow over the room, draping everything in a haze of red hues.

"What time is it?" I can hardly ask the question between my panting. I don't want to miss New Years, not while everyone else is here downstairs.

"It was only 11:20 when I came up," Brooks says, his breaths pitter-pattering soft against my skin.

Here it comes. The tease.

I moan when he presses his front into me. I can feel him hard beneath his dress pants. I reach into his coat and wrap my arms around him. He is warm. I pull the coat off and toss it on the sofa bed. I unbutton the first three on his shirt, resting my palm on his chest under his suspenders. His hands are already down my back and up my skirt, his fingers reaching under my butt for my inside.

Another squeal escapes me as he moves inside. At the same time he puts his free hand to my mouth and pushes his fingers through my lips.

"I'll be the last person to have you this year," he says, planting little kisses along my jawline, down to my chest, and then up again, until his breath is warm against my ear. "And the first to fuck you next year."

His words drive me wild with desire. I tap out, man. I can't live anymore.

I writhe, my weight fully supported by my arms around him, by his fingers inside me. My legs do not work. They've turned off. He goes in and out, in and out. One hand squeezing my bottom lip and then finding my hair. I am exploding.

"Have me," I pant, swallowing hard with his fingers still in my mouth.