Chapterish 34

THANKSGIVING

7:19 AM

I roll over in the bed and search until my arm finds Brooks. I open my eyes and he's already staring at me, a half smile on his face.

"Morning." He kisses my forehead.

"Morning back."

"Happy Thanksgiving," he says.

"That's right!" I sit up straight.

HOW did I forget Thanksgiving? It's my favorite holiday. Sure, my parents abandoned me this year, but still. Not mad about my present houseguest.

"So, what Thanksgiving plans am I crashing?" He asks.

"Plans? Crashing, you?" I laugh, pulling the covers over my head. "No plans."

"No plans?" He laughs back. "No way. I don't buy it."

"Really," I say. "Zoë mentioned stopping by her family's dinner, but I don't know them and would rather be alone."

"Oh yea?" He raises his eyebrows. "Alone?"

"Well," I say, climbing to my knees on the bed. "Not entirely alone."

"That's what I thought." Brooks smirks.

"We'll need to make our own plans," I say.

"Our own plans," he repeats.

"Our own Thanksgiving." I say, smirking as I wrap my arms around him.

"I like the sound of that," he laughs.

"Let's start..." I trail off, deep in thought. "With coffee?"

Brooks laughs and rolls over to the edge of the bed. "With room service in bed?"

"Oh, I like the sound of that," I smirk.

Brooks walks to the window and pulls back the curtain to reveal a sunny-overcast day. "Or, how about breakfast outside?"

"I could get behind that. But we need to stop at my apartment first. Can't eat in this," I say, holding up my dress from last night's trip to Corbel Finn.

"You could eat breakfast in that," Brooks says, laughing. "But fine, we'll stop at your loft."

"Thank you," I smile.

I grab my phone and read the messages lighting up the screen.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER <3

HAPPY TURKEY DAY!!

I text my parents back. It hurts a little to not be with them on Thanksgiving, but I suppose I'm getting used to it. I'll settle for Brooks. After all, being with him feels just like being back at home, in high school, living at my parents, being kids, and being irresponsible.

Whoever said an outdoor Thanksgiving breakfast picnic was a bad idea? We sit on a Sherpa blanket under the trees in the park, eating vegan granola bars and Greek yogurt cups (stop thinking about John Stamos). The sky is speckled with clouds, dark and gray. But the patches of blue are clear and sunny and perfectly autumn. Deeper than a summer blue sky, ya know?

I have on a blue plaid fleece hanging over my leggings with thigh-high boots. Yes, my leftover curls are in a messy bun. Brooks matches me with black jeans and a gray pullover. His leftover hair is just perfect. It's all very fall-grunge. We should be in a magazine posing for a casual Thanksgiving photo-shoot.

"I love this Thanksgiving," Brooks says, stretching back on the blanket.

"It's not bad," I smirk.