Chapterish 48

"EMMY!" Trix squeals when she sees me. She stands up and I can't tell where her hair ends and red one-piece begins.

"No! Don't get out, it's freezing," I laugh, walking over to the side of the hot tub she's on and fake hugging her cause she's soaking wet.

"Finally!" Meg says. "Good flight?"

"Delayed," I sigh.

"Hey guys," I grin, turning to the dudes. Plus Katie. Yes, definitely horseshoe girl.

It's a chorus of hellos. But really I only pay attention to one.

"Took long enough," Brooks says, eyes narrowed.

"Had to keep you waiting," I smirk.

"Had to?" He rolls his eyes. Guys, I missed this eye roll.

"It hasn't even been a week. I know I'm great, but chill," I roll my eyes.

"Get in!" Alex says, splashing hot water at me. Katie is all over him.

"OK. OK." I peel off my clothes and leave them in a heap next to the basket of rolled white towels.

Travis fake catcalls me and I shoot him daggers.

I climb into the tub and oh my god. Something about being outside in the freezing cold, in a hot tub, with mountains surrounding you. I can't tell if the swirling heat in front of me is steam rising from the water or my breath.

I scoot next to Trix. Pace yourself.  Don't be too eager. Don't go right to him. You're better than that.

I'm on a ledge in the tub, so the water hits just at my chest.

It's mf cold out.

"How was your guys' flight?" I ask.

"Not bad," Travis answers. "Almost missed it because someone couldn't leave the house on time."

"Yea, you," Alex laughs.

"Would have been fine if I didn't have to make three separate stops in the morning!" Travis shoots him an evil eye.

"Hey, it's not our fault you chose the early AM flight," Brooks says, pushing a wave of water toward Travis.

"We got here like five hours ago," Nate tells me.

"Yea, we checked the whole place out," Meg says.

"This place is incredible. It's got a mini town with a bar and everything," Trix says.

"Yea, I saw the moose on my way in." I laugh.

"Yea, I saw like 10 more in the lobby and the hall and the room." Trix nods.

"Hopefully we don't see any on the slopes," Brooks says.

"Hopefully we do." I say, staring at him. It's the way my voice sounds when I say we. It's like I'm talking just to him. His eyes lock on mine. The intensity is back.

Everyone laughs but I just hear him.

"OK, well we're gonna go," Nate says, stepping out of the tub and grabbing a towel. He tosses one to Meg.

"Us too," Katie says.

"Ugh, but it's so cold." Alex whines.

"Ugh, but I made us dinner reservations," Katie whines back, dragging him up by his hand. "You're welcome."

You know, Katie is growing on me.

Our number cuts in half. And I can't help but notice that with only the four of us left in the tub, there is no one between Brooks and me. Just open water.