Chapterish 33

Two hours and another bottle of wine later I prove I'm not the stronger one. One look at his wistfully adorable smile and I agree to check out his hotel. It's only one block away, so we can walk. A happy solution to the lack of limo. He puts my coat on me as we pass through the glass doors and into the night.

It's much colder than I remember going into Corbel Finn, but still the wine has made me forget what cold feels like. We walk along the footpath that wraps around the small harbor of downtown. Being near the water reminds me of our time this summer –our time at the pier and the ocean. It feels like a lifetime ago.

The person who tried on 18 outfits feels like a stranger to me now. Still, I respect her because you know the power of an outfit. But I don't know her. The worry and the nerves she felt –they don't feel real to me anymore. Only he does.

Fuck.

We get back to the Four Seasons and amazingly find our drunken selves to his hotel room.

My dress lies in a crumpled mess on the floor next to his sport jacket.

"Brooks," I exhale against his neck. My heart is racing, my thighs beginning to ache. I pull myself back. I'm stronger than this. "What are we doing?"

"I'm hoping we're about to..." he trails off.

"I don't mean right now. I mean this," I admit. "We've tried this before. It doesn't work with us." I confess this all out loud to him and to myself too.

"You sure know how to ruin a mood." Brooks groans.

"Now who's against having a real moment?" I ask him, forcefully.

"That was actual months ago," he says, rolling his eyes.

"Oh, so now the moment for the moment has passed?" I crease my forehead.

"No." Brooks opens and then closes his mouth again.

"We never finished our discussion from dinner."

"Your discussion." He corrects me. "I was busy trying to not be a part of it."

His voice hardens. Brooks, a mood swing? No fucking way.

"And I was busy not letting you." I tell him.

His smell intoxicating me like usual. I didn't need to bother with the bottle of wine at the restaurant.

"Jay," I moan against him. That's right.

"You're first-naming me now?" He smirks.

"Mhmm."

Brooks pulls down on my lip with his thumb. He almost pinches it between his fingers. I lean in for his kiss.

He stops.

"And now you're ruining the moment," I whisper against his lips.

"I just... We will talk about it. Not today." He says, but it sounds like he's asking –waiting for confirmation.

I roll my eyes, but nod. No use arguing about it tonight. Suddenly, his mood shifts again. He's looking at me with intense eyes.

"Have you had others?" His voice is husky.

"Others?" I ask.

"Others," he repeats. His eyes widen as he moves his hands down my front. I think of this words from the summer –how he hated the idea of it.

"No. I'm a virgin." I roll my eyes.

He laughs.

"Since Labor Day? Have you been with others?"

"One or two." I breathe. I've got needs. Y'all remember Trevor.

We agreed this was for fun. Not that it mattered. No guy I could find at the local nightclub was a match for Brooks. And no amount of margaritas could come close to convincing me otherwise. Even if Trevor is a close second.

His thumb is still resting on my lip, stopping me from kissing him. I move my hips into his.

"Fuck." He responds to my grind. "Don't be with anyone else."

"Ever?" I almost laugh.

"'Til Christmas at least." Brooks brings me closer. He breathes in my neck through my hair. My body excites.

I try to kiss him again but he pulls back.

"Promise." Brooks insists. His hands glue me to his hips.

GOD. I can feel him so fucking close. This is torture.

I know he intends it to be. Two can play that game. I lift myself to my knees, hovering over his lap. I twist my fingers in his long hair and run my nails to the bottom of his neck. I pull his face into my chest.

Jay fucking Brooks. In Seattle. Naked. Naked with me.

Judge the fuck out of me Moon.

He's different. Even from the summer. His arms are around me. He moves with my every move. His eyes follow mine and I see something new in their depths. He's serious. Like, actually serious.

"Yea, yea. Promise." I say and bite my lip.

He finally moves in.

I lower my hips onto his lap. Our lips find each other again. His tongue traces the inside of my upper lip. I recognize the move as one of my own. I've taught him well. Brooks moves my legs around his waist again. They lock behind his back. He pulls me into a hug and pulls me down on top of him. I squeal with the pleasure of it.

The grand entrance that never gets old.