Chapterish 9

10:00 PM

Another bonfire. Evidently, it's the only thing to do around here besides bar-hop. We're back to the spot from the bonfire and I hate that it already has bad memories for me.

Trix was right. I am dramatic.

Travis wants to skinny-dip.

It's a pretty split decision and only half of us stay back by the fire. Trix and Meg disappear to the car to get blankets and Alex takes out his guitar once again.

"Ems." Brooks's voice startles me. I jump a little.

"Jay," I nod.

My heart races in my chest. It's beating so fast that if he were some mythical mentally abusive vampire he'd be able to hear it. No doubt.

He takes a step toward me. I smell the salt rolling off his skin. New cologne: Summer in a Bottle. "Walk with me?"

Brooks stretches out his hand. It looks so inviting. I haven't been this attracted to toned forearms since ... well ever. And his fingers. The kind of fingers you just know are dexterous at life. A walk? It seems friendly, not ill intentioned. Am I strong enough for it? No. Am I strong enough to stop it? No.

"I'll walk." I stand up, careful to avoid his hand. He rolls his eyes and turns to follow me.

We walk toward the water, our backs to the rest of the world. With each step the guitar is more muffled by ocean waves. I'm cautious to walk close enough to Brooks that I can hear him, almost feel him there. Not that it's dark, I mean I can see him. Thanks moon and stars. But still, I remain far enough away that I can trust myself. Trust half-buzzed Emmy.

Our feet meet the water. It laps at our ankles. It's been too long since I've felt the east coast beneath my toes. I know, what a Jersey thing to say.

"It was kind of fun crushing you today." Brooks grins.

"Crushing? Please. Glad you feel good about being put on the better team." I can't help it. I smile.

"Don't downplay my skill."

"Yea right." I roll my eyes. "Your only skill is being like 6'4" on a good day."

"You noticed I'm taller?" He sounds pleased, cocky even. Cock. Fuck you, Emmy. Focus.

"Hard to miss." I say, turning to him. "Almost too tall if you ask me."

"I've noticed quite a few things changed with you too." Brooks inches closer on the sand.

Hands to yourself, Em.

"Years will do that." I joke. "I'm just glad you're still good at Chicken."

"We're good at Chicken. Team effort," he says.

"Our one claim to fame." I roll my eyes.

"You know Emmy, I've developed some other skills I'd like to show you."

I turn and gasp, eyes bulging wide. He tosses his head back and laughs at my reaction.

"Please. If I remember correctly, most of those skills were beyond repair." I regroup quickly. I'm a pro.

"Like I said, I've developed." Brooks smirks.

"Well keep the developments to yourself." I smile. Brooks laughs.

The laughter feels nice, almost normal.

"So can I ask you?" Brooks's godlike voice distracts me. I steal a glance at his perfectly sculpted face rivaling marble under the moonlight. Seriously, what is going on? Hi Universe, Zeus called, he wants his demi-god back.