Chapterish 15

CHAMPAGNE ISLAND

I hardly went home. Woke up at like 6 AM and laid there for a bit -watching Brooks sleep next to me like the emotionally unavailable stalker I am. I just couldn't help it. His eyes kind of twitch in his sleep and it's just the best twitch I've ever seen.

Got up at 7 AM when Travis brewed a fresh pot of coffee. Left at 8 AM to go home and shower, grab some things, charge my phone and change into a new swim suit. Fielded questions from Kathy with help from Frank, who reminded her that I'm not 18 anymore.

And now here we are. I am dropping my old bike on the side of Travis's house at Back Bay.

11:17 AM

Seagulls are sort of charming in their own way. Yes, they're terribly annoying beach rodents that will attack at the sight of anything remotely resembling food. Seriously, they hear the shuffling of wrappers or plastic and come running. Flocking.

When they aren't surrounding you, they're minding their own business. I watch them soar in arcs over the water, cutting against the sky in V shaped patterns. It's oddly freeing to watch, to see them move together with such an ease. They dip low over the water and it looks like they dance on the miniature whitecaps breaking in the harbor.

Low-key charming when they want to be. They are now anyway.

"Are you bird watching?" Meg's voice breaks my focus on the tiny specks in the sky that moments ago were seagulls.

"No. I'm waiting for you guys," I say, rolling my eyes.

"She was totally bird watching! Freak," Trix says, laughing.

I roll my eyes at them, but secretly I love it. I love Meg's dry sarcastic jabs and Trix's not-so-subtle name-calling. I miss it. See, it's not just the boy that I missed about this place.

We're all standing behind the canal. Travis's boat is being dropped into the water as we wait.

It's the eight of us again like some quadruple date aquatic extravaganza. I have to remind myself there're only two actual couples. Only two sets of souls that have decided to be together. Nate and Meg, Trix and Travis... I find I'm oddly jealous when I think about it now. About the fact they can trust their relationships. That they're even relationships to begin with. Still, as I look over at Brooks standing next to his old truck and holding the cooler, I can't help but burst from the inside out. The way he tosses his head back when he laughs and the glimmer of fire *hunger* in his eyes when he looks at me.

It's enough. It's more than enough.

"Come on!" Travis shouts over to us.

"Always waiting on the girls," Alex rolls his eyes. He swings his arm around his flavor of the week. I think I recognize her from before -from Chicken maybe.

I follow Meg and Trix to the water, holding my tote above my head. We wade out until it's halfway up our legs, lapping at our kneecaps. We hand our bags up to Nate and climb into the boat. I almost lose my balance once I stand up.

"When's the last time you were on a boat?" Nate asks.

"Seriously. It's insulting to us," Alex grins.

"Yea yea." I push off Alex's shoulder as I pass him.

"Hi." Brooks smiles down at me.

"Hey," I smirk.

Brooks moves when I move. He situates himself near me, watching me, like he's ready to jump in and rescue me should I fall overboard. It's like he forgot I can swim. I reach my palm down to his thigh and rest it on his swim trunks. He just looks at me with that hunger and I have to look away before I yield to the urge.