Chapterish 17

Hi guys! Hope you're loving OMT so far. Plz keep reading and starring ⭐️ and sharing!

...

TIDE & THUNDER

Today's the day. My return flight. Back to Seattle *reality*.

I can't believe it's been two weeks already. But, I've put in the appropriate amount of face time so mom and dad are happy. My friends don't think I'm dead anymore so they're happy. And me? I'm happy.

Yup, cancelled my flight.

I know.

Decided to stay one more week until the day after Labor Day. After all, wouldn't really be fair to Cape May if I left before summer really ended.

Don't want to jump the gun.

It hasn't been all sunshine and boat rides, volleyball at the pier, and visiting cabanas after dark. No, it's rained a few times. In fact, it's raining today.

I sprint up the steps into Brooks's house. I knock once and expect to see Brooks when the door opens but instead I see his mother.

"Emmeline!" She reaches in to hug me. "It's so good to see you! Look how old you look now."

"Hi, Mrs. Brooks," I force a smile. I can't look too old; I still get carded.

It's not that I'm unhappy to see her, just that I wasn't expecting it. Now here she is in front of me, wearing an apron and holding an open cookbook. I haven't seen her in years but she's just like I remember her.

"Jay!" She shouts over her shoulder. It's weird hearing him called that.

"Great," I say.

"Here, come on in and follow me. I was just finishing up in the kitchen. Need to take all this over to the B&B. Should have been there... About an hour ago." She sighs, dropping the cookbook on the counter.

"How are things? At the B&B?" I quickly add that second half. Can't help the creepy closed-mouth smile I give her.

"Good. Things are good! Busy now so I feel like I'm all over the place!"

She starts boxing up desserts. The entire island counter is covered with tupperware and brightly colored lids. She tucks her own dark hair behind her ear when it falls out of its ponytail. I remember she's a beautiful older lady. When she looks up I also remember that Brooks has her eyes.

"How are you? You're living in Seattle now right?" His mom's questions bring my focus back. Back to the Brooks's kitchen.

"That's right. About four years now." I nod.

"Well, it's been so nice having Jay home these past few weeks. Brody too. Almost like it's ten years ago!" She says, her head inside the fridge. I know she can't see me but I nod at her back.

"I know what you mean," I say. The smile is a reflex.

"Almost can't wait for summer to end. Back on track..." Mrs. Brooks rambles on.

"Well, it's almost ending," I say, watching her put three cans of whipped cream on the counter.

"What's almost ending?"

I turn to find Brooks standing in the archway between kitchen and hallway. He's wearing a dark hoodie and gym shorts. HOW can he make that combo look runway ready?

"There you are, honey. Here can you take this stack," Mrs. Brooks says, snapping shut the rainbow lids and handing them to Brooks.

"Hey," I say.