Chapterish 26

10:59 PM

It's an hour into the pregame when I fish my phone out of my cleavage (this cat suit doesn't call for pockets). I am greeted by a blank screen. No calls, no texts, no noti's of any kind. This doesn't surprise me, but still. I put my glass on the ledge next to the bar and open my phone.

It's loud on the media scene tonight. Haunted hayrides and house parties and who-can-be-the-sluttiest costume contests are going on all across the US.

I click on the mini face of Trix and see what she's up to. It looks like a party is going on at Travis's. Trix actually is dressed up like a mermaid and Travis some fancy prince with a cigarette wedged between his lips, smiling at the camera. What a selfie. Meg and Nate look like Romeo and Juliet wannabes. Alex is a rock star in a leather jacket, electric guitar hanging from his shoulder.

Man, I miss Travis's deck on Back Bay. I'm homesick for New Jersey. EW.

Someone is absent from all these pics. Not surprising, since I know he's back in NC. I fight with myself for 10 seconds before I find myself on his page. No new activity, not tonight anyway. Looking at his face, I can't believe it's been so long.

I haven't seen him in almost two months.

I don't care.

Still, blood martini #3 is V much tempting me to message him like a dutiful ex-lover drunk on Halloween. No. I can't let what he is doing determine what I am doing. I need to do things for me. I finish #3 for me.

I search for Zoë and find her in the kitchen with Sophie.  She's leaning against the counter top, next to Bryan. He's her boy toy for lack of a more distinguished description.

"Heey!" She says, smiling when I stop in front of her. "Em, here try this." Zoë puts a plastic cup in my hand. I see bright blood red in the cup. Must be the brew.

"Shit. That's good shit," I say taking the cup from my lips. It tastes like raspberry Jell-O with vodka and rich chocolate. I don't think there's actually any chocolate.

"Isn't it?" Zoë laughs. "Hey are you almost ready, cat?"

"Ready cat," I say and nod my head. I sway slightly into the countertop myself. Zoe laughs at me.

"A group of us are going to the party soon. The one down town," she clarifies, like this is a party too, not a pregame.

"Whenev-ur you-want." I'm starting to slur. I'm at that line. You know, the one in your head If I have one more sip, then I'm definitely drunk. Point of no return line.

"Let's finish our drinks," she says and turns back to Bryan. He finishes his cup first.

I finish mine last, giggling to myself as I put it back on the counter and thank Sophie for her 'pregame'.

We are halfway to the door with four or five other people (a Barbie, a princess and I think the NBA players).

"Wait!" Zoë says, grabbing my hand and yanking me away from the door.

"Whaaaaat cat?" I laugh, almost tripping over my heels. I flash to seeing Trix try to walk on sand and smile to myself. Miss my mermaid.

"We need a pic. C'mon," she says, still pulling me sideways. She drops my hand in front of the glass windows. They're almost crystalized now from the fog and the cool air outside. A cobweb hangs above our heads, flickering in the strobes.

"Take a video," Zoë instructs, taking the phone from my hand and shoving it into Bryan's.

"Let's hug and turn," she tells me. I nod and follow her lead.