Chapterish 51

BOOZY BRUNCH & BOARDS

8:00 AM

Brooks is already gone when I wake up. His bag and shit is in Travis's room, so I'm 95% sure that's where he went. Either that or he left to go stay in some other girl's room. It's fine with me. Gives me private time to shower and blow out my hair. The blow out is for brunch, not for the slopes. It kills me to do it, knowing that in like five-six hours it's going to be matted to my head like fur on a wet dog.

You know when you see ski bunny outfits on models and can't help but puke at the unrealism? As if someone skiing down a mountain with wind biting her face can somehow maintain perfect curls. As if those furry earmuffs would actually stay on. As if that hat wouldn't give you the worst helmet head you ever had. All sweaty and gross and skiing but somehow still looking runway ready.

Yes, well that's my vibe right now. Or at least I'm trying to make it my vibe. I wanded my hair even though yes I know it's going to end up in a bun by midday. It's inevitable. I have an off white knitted hat with an oversized top pom-pom. A top-pom. Full face of make-up because why not? All for that Top-of-the-Mountain selfie.

Wearing the same black snow pants I've had since high school. They're not the insanely bulky kind that make you look three sizes larger than you actually are. They're slim and fitted. I wear them with my white ski jacket. It's not a bad look. It's snow bunny enough.

We meet for brunch first. I walk in and Trix and Meg are already there at the agreed upon restaurant (there're like 17 on this resort complex). Some are fancy, some are not, some have bars, and some are nightclubish like the one we visited last night. This one is open strictly breakfast and lunch.

I can't help but blush when we all meet up. I'm not exactly shy when it comes to sex. I don't think women shouldn't talk about it or that we should feel bad about wanting to talk about it. But OMG when I see Brooks walking over to Me, Trix, and Meg –walking between Travis and Alex –laughing with his head back, I just die a little inside.

The memory of last night too fresh in my mind. SO fresh in fact that I'm almost sure everyone can read my thoughts. They can see it all over my face.

"Hey guys," I say.

"Hey," Brooks says when they reach us.

He's so cool you wouldn't even know we fucked each other's faces last night.

"Nice of you to join us," Meg says.

"Some of us had a hard time getting up." Nate points at Alex and Katie.

"It was Travis's special present last night. Dude what was that?" Alex asks.

Travis laughs. "No one else seemed to have any side effects. Well not this morning anyway."

"He's just a pussy," Nate says, shoving Alex out of the seat next to Meg.

"I needed to sleep in. Rejuvenate myself for tonight," Alex says, sitting down in the last chair.

"Yea, round two," Trix says.

"Something tells me it won't have a rave vibe," I say, bringing my water glass to my lips.

"Let's hope not," Brooks says next to me. "One of those was enough. I'm not in college anymore."

"Here, here," Meg says.

"Amen."

"Hi, everyone. Welcome to The Riverstone." A waitress stops at the head of our table.

"Hi."

"Hey."

"Brunch is buffet style, so grab a plate whenever you're ready and head up. Bottomless mimosas too, just get a glass and I'll add it to the charge." She fills the empty water glasses before leaving the table again.

I skip the breakfast line and go straight for the mimosa bar. Duh. At least my priorities are still intact. Trix, Meg, and Katie follow me. Must be a girl thing. We load our glasses with strawberries, champs and OJ (organic pressed, thanks).

The guys bring back plates piled high with more food than I would and will eat all day. Chunky waffles, smoked bacon, heaping scrambled eggs so yellow I think they used the entire cheese block. English muffins, regular muffins, pastries, and bagels galore.

I make a loaded fruit cup with slivered almonds and some chia pudding. Pairs well with the mimosa. I take my spot between Trix and Brooks.

"So what do you think the vibe will be tonight?" Trix asks, swinging a fork full of egg at me.

"Not sure. Vintage?"

"Vintage what?" She side eyes me.

"Vintage everything." I laugh, fishing the berry out of the dregs of my mimosa.

Travis starts about the trails. "So there's two gondolas and like 12 different lifts." Travis fork spears his waffle.

"You have to take a lift to ski down to get to the gondola that goes to the top," Nate says.

"Yea, it's on this side. Two trails go to it," Travis says.

"Do you guys have a map or something?" I ask them.

"Seriously! Did you two memorize the trails this morning?" Trix rolls her eyes.

"The real reason you guys were late to brunch," Meg laughs.

"You'll be thanking us later when we don't get lost on the mountain," Nate says, stealing a sausage off Meg's plate.

"Get lost?" I laugh. "How would we get lost? There's only one direction you can go. Down."

"Yea, yea. Just eat your fruit, Em," Nate says.

"Don't hate on my fruit cup."

"There was a map on the wall in the hallway. They were looking at it all morning," Brooks says.

"We goin' right after this?" Travis says, almost clearing his entire plate.

Man, dudes eat fast.

"Yea, I think we're all ready!" Trix says, polishing off her bacon and second mimosa.

Me, I'm on 3. I don't have a drinking problem. Really. I pick at my fruit. My fork chases blueberries around on my plate. I spear them one-by-one adding them to my parfait.

"Just need to pick up the rentals," Meg says.

"I need to grab my board from the room," Alex says, finishing his plate too.

"Me too," Travis says. "Come on, they'll just charge our rooms for breakfast."

Travis stands up and it's like a trigger for the rest of us. On to slope city.