Chapter 8 - At the Peaks of the Western Hem

CHAPTER  8

AT THE PEAKS OF THE WESTERN HEM

It was noon before the riders stopped. The day was warm and clear, and the sun shone a pale carpet of gold over the lands.

'So the old rumours of those hills are true,’said Roamer. He cast his eyes back to the the far-off horizon, to the cliffs and ridges now minute against the skyline; the jagged falls of the Estelain.

'I have passed those hills before,' said Sharmor, 'but in happier days, before the Enemy came. Then the ways were safe, but the Krahls forced our route into evil territory, where the power of darkness is still at work.

'You mean the valley of the standing stones?' asked Gem. 'What a horrible place!'

'A curse was on those stones;' said Sharmor, 'the spell of a Black Wizard, a Drathlord of Troch. It is still strong, and we were lucky, for such spells are powerful - some cannot be undone, until of course, Kondahlrod is overthrown.'  A short but solemn silence descended at the mention of this name. Then Gem jumped down from Firry, and stretched.

'Well, I for one am terribly hungry, not to say a little tired after our flight. Shall we stop here for some rest?' Sharmor smiled and brought his horse to a standstill before getting down.

'Yes, I think now is a very good time! Now Kamm, how is that arm?'

The Gnome's arm was bleeding with the pressure of the ride. Sharmor tended to it with herbs and water, and re-bandaged it. The Company ate and rested, and set off again, travelling steadily for the rest of the day over the plains of Banuarin. No further incidents befell them, and that night they slept well. The following day they arose with the sun, and set off hoping to reach the Mountains of Banuarin in the South, where were situated the Gnome Cities of Radriach, Teagnaiel, and Haldruef. Indeed, all that day, Tellom and Himdrum rode together at the head of the Company, looking ever ahead to the feet of the Mountains, towards the Ghaldhaet; the Gnome strongholds. Again they drew near to the valley of the River Sheffall, and so veered further eastwards away from it. low the Mountains loomed, grey as the sun lowered in a pale sky.

It was dusk as they reached the feet of the Mountains, led along dim paths by Tellom to the gates of the City of Teagnaiel. The City's northern gate was hewn into the mountain wall. Before it the Company halted. The gate itself was almost invisible in the waning light, its edges smooth and its joins unapparent. Tellom stepped forward and rapped upon it with a stick, announcing his presence in a loud voice:

'I am Tellom Eldherd,' he boomed, 'of the City of Trenhirion. I come in peace, and with friends. Open up your gates!' A small wooden hatch, set in the top corner of the stone gate, opened up, and the head of a Gnome appeared. Tellom continued. 'With me are Sharmor and Pynderan, the kinsmen and High Horsemen of Trenhirion; Tilsen, Baden, and larith Greenhood of the Embardow; friends of the King, Gem rol and Gorth lob; and Gnomes known to yourself (I would presume): Kamm Dlaffodwright, Roamer Wainroch, and here at my side is Hiudrum Dastofad.'

'Himdrum the Wise?' said the Gnome. 'And Tellom the Bold, and other noble Trenhirionians? Your business must be urgent, if you travel thus in the darkening lands.' He cast Gem and Gorthlob a curious glance. Then the hatch closed, and inwardly the gates swung open. The Gnome jumped down to meet them. He had a very long beard which was tangled and rather untidy, but his face was friendly. 'Please enter!' he said, and bowed. 'The City of Teagnaiel is always pleased to welcome Gnomes and other people of Trenhirion!' Again he glanced towards Gem and Gorthlob. 'My name is Rimrid, and I am the Gate-Guard of Teagnaiel for this week.' This was spoken proudly by Rimrid as he shut the gates behind them. The Company looked around. They were in an entrance hall, tall, wide, and well-lit. Tokens and symbols were evident on every wall, the most common being a shield bearing the device of a white star set in a field of red. This was the emblem of the House of Gnomes throughout Feliach. Passages led out from the far side of the great lobby. Tellom turned to Riurid.