Chapter 24 - A Grisly Remedy

CHAPTER 24

A GRISLY REMEDY

Afternoon was drawing on when Gem and Gorthlob came across the first real signs of animal life they had encountered since leaving their boats. As they neared the Mountains, the ground had become more and more soggy, so that Gem's boots began to ooze with a most unpleasant watery mud. Here in this fen-like region prints remainedblatantly stamped into the spongy surface. Gem stooped over them

'These are the footprints of Krahls,' he said. 'Our luck could not hold out forever, I suppose. Oh well, Gorthlob, we had better start taking extra caution, if that is possible. I can see three sets of feet here… or is it four? Anyway they seem to be going in the same direction as us - perhaps they are heading to Harg-Tolun itself.' He thought for a moment, then turned to Gorthlob. 'If that is the case, Gorthlob, it might not be such a bad idea to follow them. What better way to find the Tower than to follow Its servants straight to It?'

'Footprints may not last,' said Gorthlob, and bent close to the ground. He was sniffing, and Gem watched him with a blank expression in his eyes. Then his tired face lit up momentarily.

'Footprints may not last, but a scent will!' he whispered, his voice weak and hoarse. 'How long ago were they here - can you tell?'

'Some hours - I think this morning. Follow we could.'

'Then follow we will, for a while anyway,' breathed Gem. 'At least it might take some of the burden of route-planning from our minds. But we must keep our noses pointed towards those Mountains. That is the way we must go, much as I dread it. I am afraid, Gorthlob, afraid of this Wood, afraid of those Mountains and what waits beyond them, if we ever get that far. My head is swimming with this fever, and it doesn't seem to be getting better, just worse with every day. I think it is some evil of this Wood. Curse it, curse it. hateful leaves and its whispering magic! Where is Blizzaro? I need his guidance now more than ever - I shall turn into a madman if I don't get out of here soon!'

'Then we go now!' hissed Gorthlob. 'Mountains two days away. Must try to keep strength, Gem!' Gem breathed in deep.

'I will, my friend,' he replied with a resigned smile. 'You see, it matters little to me now that I am afflicted or in painfor the Quest has taken over all else. The Quest is my world, and it takes up all my thought, and until it is done with, nothing else seems important, not even myself, Gemrol Greenland the Burrite. I am of small worth, but the cause of this Quest is mighty, more mighty even than Cities and Mountains. So I will toil on regardless of pain, though my heart may break with it.'

Gorthlob shot Gem a worried glance. For a moment they stared into each other's eyes, saying nothing. Gorthlob seemed to be scrutinising his friend, boring his gaze deep into Gem. The Burrite's eyes were not far from delirious, and he did not appear to see anything at all.

'Quest is important,' Gorthlob said at last. 'But Gem important too. Gorthlob not like this fever, what it is doing. Come with me, I lead now.'

Gorthlob turned, following the tracks through the trees. Back bent almost double, Gem came behind, his pack still balancing over his neck. His arms felt as if they were constructed of a brittle stone, and might snap and drop off at any minute.

And so, some exhausting miles later, they were smothered in night'. dark blanket. Gem wearily pulled out his rug and wrapped it around him. He was squatting uncomfortably under the trunk of a tree where the ground was drier. At his side he caught the glint of Gorthlob's eyes observing his still form.

'Hello Gorthlob,' he murmured dreamily. 'Do you know, I cannot tell whether I am boiling over with heat, or freezing with bitter, excruciating cold?' Gorthlob did not reply, but wrapped Gem's blanket tighter around him. 'I will hold the Arrowstone  and draw  from its power,' continued Gem, yet even as he spoke his head fell and sleep took him. Despite his earlier words, whether spoken in bravery or the heat of his fever, the agony that bound Gem's muscles had become punishing in the extreme, Gorthlob knew it, and he cried inside for the suffering of his friend. Yet there was little he could do, save to keep his own spirit from flagging, and to allow Gem as much sleep as possible.