Chapter 12 - The Hidden Chamber

CHAPTER 12

THE HIDDEN CHAMBER

Outside, over the ridge of Teleg Darn, a raging storm crashed and thundered. Fearsome winds howled in every pit and hollow,and lightning shattered the sky. Angry torrents of bubbling water surged down the rills and scree-slopes as the rain lashed the hills. Emerging from the foothills came five small figures, soaked and bedraggled.

'What an evil storm!' spluttered Tellom, wiping black locks of hair from his face. 'Where in the name of Feliach did that come from?'

'It came from Tolitroth, and passed westwards over Teleg Darn,' said Himdrum. 'See how the clouds have gathered over that great valley yonder, where lightning strikes the hills. It is darkest there.' Then Kamm spoke up.

'But can you see? The valley walls are lit up with fire!'

'There is some devilry at work here,' said Tellom. 'The further we get away from it, the better. Storms and fires - what next, I wonder? I say head for Ellerol. I am sure Sharmor would have done the same.'

'Staying here is futile,' said Himdrum, 'and dangerous. I suppose we have no choice but to go on, and hope to meet our friends later. Then let us go, and leave this forsaken place. All seems ruinous, but we must harden our hearts, and remember the Quest.'

'Yes, before we are all washed away,' said Roamer.

All that day they travelled, wet, and rueful of the loss of their companions. That night they camped under the stars, near the banks of the River Haliven, and awoke early to continue their journey. Soon the river flowed across their path.

'Sharmor said nothing about this obstacle,' said Roamer as they watched its waters running, swift and deep. 'We cannot swim it, and we cannot jump it,'

'Then we wait, and find a solution,' said Himdrum. But they did not need to wait long. Down the river came a ship. As it approached, the five figures jumped up and down on the bank, waving their arms in the air. For they had seen the emblem on the flag flying above the ship's sails. It was the device of the white star set against the red field, the standard of the Gnome people. With a shout the boatswain caught sight of the figures, and the vessel changed its course towards them, lowering its sails. Now a group of Gnomes heaved its anchor overboard, and a rowing boat was despatched towards the banks. It pulled up, and a Gnome greeted them.

'Hail, travellers!' said the Gnome. 'Do you require assistance?'

'Hail, friend,' replied Tellom, stepping forward. 'It is a relief to find kinsmen abroad. Do you sail from Fandenor?'

'Yes, we are travelling south,' said the Gnome. 'We go to the land of Talgarith to pledge our allegiance in the oncoming war, and to seek counsel over the regaining of Levendill, our realm taken by the Enemy of old.'

'Have you heard anything of the Mants of Niirth on your way?' asked Himdrum. The Gnome screwed his face up.

'Mants? We have seen none. Why do you ask?'

'We parted with a troop of them a few days back,' replied Himdrum. 'They were led by Oldorf, King of Niirth. We sent them with news for your people that Dorcaril of Trenhirion is preparing forces for war, amongst other things.'

'This is no news,' said the Gnome. 'We knew of this weeks ago.'

'That is good,' said Himdrum. 'But there were other tidings for your people. The Ogres of Troch are no more.'

'The Ogres? Dead?' started the Gnome.  'How, and where?' Briefly Himdrum spoke now of Ahgalron and the Shadow-Mountain, of the battle at the ledge, and of their escape. Also he spoke of Tolitroth, and of Sharmor's group. He said nothing of the Quest, or of the Sky-Stone. When he had finished, the Gnome stood aghast, full of wonder and dismay.