Chapter 10 - Stone of Power

CHAPTER 10

STONE OF POWER

As morning came they rose, leaving the valley and finding greener lands where birds sang in the treetops. The day passed without troubleand they kept a steady course south, steering away from the river. Another night passed9 and another morning. Now ahead of them loomed another shadow - the dead land of Tolitroth. In the distance could be seen its sullen uplands, grey and foreboding, and drawing nearer with every step they took.

'The time has come,' said Oldorf as they stopped for food and rest. 'We must take our leave of you. Eastwards lie the hills of Fandenor, and thither we will now head.'

'How my heart would yearn to come with you, were the world free of troubles,' said Tellom.

'Take with you our blessings and thanks,' added Himdrum, 'and with your news say also that Dorcaril of Trenhirion is too preparing for war, in case word has not yet got through.'

'So we shall,' said Oldorf. 'May we meet again in happier times, and in daylight, Sharmor!' he laughed. 'We must turn to Fandenor while time lasts. Your company clearly have important business of your own, and I would give much to learn of it, though I daresay you would not speak. So I must remain ignorant of it - for the moment. Perhaps I will never know why such a strange company stealthily travelled the lands in these darkening times. But it is my hope that we meet again, and then I might discover your secret! Farewell, company of Trenhirion! Safe journeying! Rehir!' And he turned, and his Mants followed him. Within a matter of minutes they had passed through the trees and disappeared.

'A chance meeting,' said Sharmor, 'but fortuitous. But for the Mants, how would we have fared against the Ogres?'

'That question, thankfully, will remain unanswered,' replied Narith. 'And now we must press on, for it is unavoidable that we cross Tolitroth.'

'It is said that those who enter Tolitroth by their own free will seldom return,' said Kamm.

'But we do not enter of our own free will,' said Himdrum. 'We have little choice but to go that way, for beyond it lies the land of Ellerol, and the Arrowstone. Any detour would lose us valuable days, and I fear that the banks of the River Temlar are now under watch of the Enemy's spies, especially here in the North where the Enemy has set up its latest strongholds.'

'Then let us hope that we do not get lost there, for old rumours warn that to lose oneself in Tolitroth is easy,' replied Kamm. 'I am suspicious of the place, but if we have to take that way, then that is that. May the Deiarth guide us through safely.'

'We are not there yet, if you don't mind me saying,' added Roamer, and with that they continued on their way. They covered many miles without incident before the sun melted beyond the rim of the western world.

The night passedand the company set off soon after dawn. After a few hours the ground became harder and more rugged, and grey slopes gave way to rising cliffs that watched over them from either side as they passed. They were nearing the borders of Tolitroth.

Soon they started on an ascent, trudging wearily upwards towards sombre hills that frowned down upon them. Dusk found them at last, crossing into the quiet and sullen regions of Tolitroth. Around them stood the ancient, haggard forms of dying trees, silhouetted ominously against the darkening skies. Like hoary aged guardians they stood; gnarled, eerie, waiting.

The Company settled under the eaves of a grey copse and prepared for the night ahead. Kamm lit a fire and all sat around its damcing flames, a ring of figures drawn to warmth and light. Merrily the flames crackled, casting long shadows on the withered grass. But an inner feeling of unrest troubled them as they sat and ate; the shadows outside seemed to harbour intent, as though many eyes were keeping a ghostly vigil on them.