Chapter 19 - By River and Dry Land

CHAPTER 19

BY RIVER AND DRY LAND

Dawn broke sullen over the land of Praethir, and no wind stirred up the mists that hung, heavy and draggling, enveloping the huge girders that reinforced the foundations of the Grey Tower. As the unseen sun cast its pale light over the brink of the Rohl Downs in the East, the great gates of the tower ground open upon mighty hinges. Even as, many miles away in Clenseld, the four Gnomes prepared to fly south on Feled and Agaros, the forces of Praethir issued forth. From the clouds there fell a dark form, plunging through the mists to land before the armies. At the arrival of this dark menace, the hosts ground reverently to a halt. A winged figure in black stood there.

The figure stepped forward and surveyed the first rank, line after line of fierce Drukhogs, their curled fangs black and cruel. The Drukhogs stretched back a furlong to the Grey Tower, where thousands of Krahls and Nulgs waited to march. Here were the armies sent forth by the Drathlord of the Grey Tower. To lead them, fresh from devastating victory at Flair, was one of the two Drathlords that Blizzaro had spoken of. Over the lands he had flown, leaving his armies to march into Banrak. Their plan was working: Shael had been taken, and an army moved north towards the Mountains of Cragrike in Banrak, led by a Drathlord. To meet that army just past the joining of the rivers, this massive legion of Praethir was now marching. Thus the Drathlords had formed their strategy, and timed the two hosts to meet. Their target   the City of Endrach Antel, then the storming of the Pass of Norclove. The Drathlord issued a command, and turned. With a deafening cry the army started up again, spilling from the Grey Tower like an endless black lava.

Lazily but steadily, the waters of the River Karne carried Gem and Gorthlob gently south. The river had widened somewhat since their departure that morning, and now as afternoon approached,  Gem decided to steer towards the western shores, where banks of golden shingle swept up from the water edge. The scenery changed little for some hours, but gradually the shingle gave way to taller, rockier banks, crowned with trees. Now the current started to gather momentum, and Gem realised that the boat was gaining speed.

'Well, Gorthlob, I think we should keep to this side of the river,' he said. 'We must be nearing the joining of the rivers, and I am not sure that I like it, But I must give my arms a rest, or I fear they will drop off.' Now he lifted the oars from the water, and for a further hour the current bore them on.            Soon the waters seemed to grow darker and deeper beneath them, and the force that bore them along grew ever stronger. Overhead the skies had become overcast and  gloomy.  Gem  looked around.  Afternoon  was passing, and he suspected rain before long.

'The River Nelad can't be far now,' said Gem. '~y arms are too tired to tackle much more today, and we have already travelled a long way. I think I shall head for the shore, where we can find a place to camp for the night.'

With a heave he pulled back the oars and forced the boat over to the right, towards the shore. Soon they were dragging it up onto the riverbank and towards the craggy slopes that reared up. Gorthlob found a suitable spot sheltered under a ledge, and here they pulled the boat out of sight. Gem took some food and shared it out between them, and they sat and ate in silence, watching the flow of the river. A drizzle of rain started up, turning the lands grey and sullen. This greyness remained until the shadows of night fell about them, leaving them in darkness, with nothing but the sound of the river in their ears.

'Gorthlob keep watch,' said Gorthlob, venturing from under the ledge to where the waxing moon lay a white sheen over the land.

'Then wake me when you are ready to fall asleep,' said Gem, and pulled up his blankets.

'Gorthlob not tired yet. Gem sleep, Gorthlob keep watch with open eyes' said Gorthlob, taking care over his pronunciation. Gem smiled, and turned over gratefully. Despite the cold hard floor of his bed, he was soon asleep.