Chapter 11 - Voices in the Valley

CHAPTER 11

VOICES IN THE VALLEY

Night had fallen on Tolitroth. The trees seemed to grow ever closer together, watching the travellers as they passed under the grey, overhanging boughs. The mists, however, were beginning to clear, and the air was cooler. Before them a cleft rose that cut between  leering rock walls. Through this they climbed, treading over age-old layers of stone hewn into rough, slippery steps. Carefully they made their way, for the steps were treacherous. As they reached the top they came to a halt. They had come far this night, and it was time to rest. Turning in the darkness, Narith exclaimed:

'Where are the others?' He gave a little laugh, and added: 'Are they still struggling on those awkward steps? Hey, Tellom! How are you faring?' There was a pause, during which no reply came. Around them the air wavered, and a slight wind whined in the treetops. 'Tellom?' repeated Narith, his voice uncertain. Suddenly he leapt away, moving as fast as he could in the dark, back down the cleft. Bewildered and dumbstruck, the rest followed. As he entered the wood once more, Narith came to a stop, looking around desperately. The darkness yawned back at him. 'Tellom!' he cried, but his voice sounded strangely muted. 'Gem!' he called, his voice faltering. On they went, calling continually out into the night. But the forest had a wearying effect on them, and its murky silence seemed to smother their cries until their voices were hoarse. Coming to a glade, they fell dejectedly to the floor, tired and out of breath.

'The ground is wet and muddy here,' said Tilsen. 'But it is firmer around the edge of the glade. It is futile to carry on, searching blindly in the dark as we are. They will catch us up. In the meantime, we should make a fire in case they are near.' This they did, and before long they were staring silently into the flames, each one locked in his own thoughts. Sharmor repeatedly blamed himself for the separation, and was deeply concerned over the welfare of his companions. At last he broke the silence.

'I am weary,' he said, his voice low and soft. 'We must hope to find our friends tomorrow, and then we must leave Tolitroth as soon as we can. It is a strange, watchful place, and I fear the return of the Forest-Wraiths. Why did I not stay at the rear of the line? Or connect us by means of rope? I have failed the Company, just as we are on the threshold of our Quest - the land of Ellerol only a matter of days hence! And I choose this time to falter, even as we are nearing the end of the first perilous lap!'

'Do not blame yourself,' said Baden. 'It was the fault of us all, or no-one. The mists were hazardous, and full of evil intent. We have merely been separated. In the morning we shall decide upon what is to be done. Do not worry - the others are capable of looking after themselves. They will find a way.'

'I shall not sleep, for worry of their safety,' replied Sharmor. 'I feel only too wary of the Wraiths, despite the weapon of fire; for fires can go out.'

'Anything could have happened in those treacherous mists!' said Pynderan. 'They were only there to mislead us, and make our way difficult. It was a curse of the land! The others must have taken a wrong turn somewhere. My only fear is that the Wraiths may be awaiting us at the southern reaches of Tolitroth, at Teleg Darn.'

'We are under the shadow of Teleg Darn now,' said Narith uneasily. Repelling the almost overwhelming numbness of sleep that was drawing over him, he stood slowly. Something was disturbing his thoughts - a feeling of unrest in the air. low the others felt it too, an uncanny disquiet, a growing restlessness. The trees seemed all at once to bow down in a manner most sinister, and a chill breeze rustled through their leaves.

'Stand back to back in a ring!' whispered Sharmor. 'The Wraiths are near!' Now, quickly, they formed a circle formation as the shadows seemed to heighten around them. To their dismay the fire sta-~ ted to flicker unsteadily, as if some outside force were willing it to go out. Then a new fear seized them as their eyes strained into the gloom; Baden gasped, pointing into the trees, and all turned to follow his gaze. There they saw black shadows, blacker than the night itself, great forms of despair which rose one by one slowly and deliberately until there stood three. As they stared on, horrified, they saw the shadows become figures, tall and terrible, cloaked in black robes, crowned with horns, sharp-edged and cruel. From the figures there rose great wingspans that threatened to enclose and engulf all in their blackness. The figures turned and faced them, holding them in torment. Even Gorthlob's breath came in a high-pitched whine. Narith felt a piercing chill pass through his body like a sharp knife, and gaped in deathly fear, unable for the moment to think or move. A rigid dread surged through the minds of the Company as they witnessed these new enemies of evil, born from the realm of Kondahlrod. Still the dreadful figures of Kondahlrod's greatest servants did not stir. Time seemed at a standstill as the three Drathlords waited there under the trees. Between the black figures new, grey shades now appeared, twisting and flickering.