Chapter 8: The Announcement

My face tingled from the feel of something soft. I peeled them open, and squinted at the huge furry creature staring back at me.

"Dumpling" I murmured as I rubbed her furry face. What happened to me? And how did you dumpling get here?

"You're the avatar? " I heard a squeaky voice ask. I looked behind dumpling to see a girl?, she had short hair, and green eyes. A marvelled expression sitting on her face. Also she looked a lot like Souta.

"Maybe? I think so" I replied cautiously.

"Oh my gosh! I can't believe it I'm meeting the avatar" Dumpling went over to her and brushed her body against hers. The girl grabbed dumplings face, "Avatar! " She exclaimed. Dumpling looked at her with the 'what the heck is she talking about' look, ha classic dumpling.

"Hi I'm Kaira, what's your name? " I said, walking over to her to shake her hand. I suddenly looked around and noticed that this was not my room.

"Ahhhh! , it's nice to meet you Avatar Kaira, I'm Chiyo" She grinned shaking my hand a little too excitedly.

"Haha your funny, its nice to meet you to" I laughed at her excitement. What's so exciting about meeting me?

"Chiyo, I told you not to wake her up" I heard Souta's voice from down the hallway.

Chiyo turned to Souta, "She was already awake dad" Dad?, ohh no wonder.

Souta walks in the room, looking a little worried, "You ok?, does your head hurt? " He asked me hurriedly.

"Yeah, no, what happened?"

"You blacked out"

"Hmm, I think I was just hungry, " I reassured him with a smile, "how long was I out for? "

"Five minutes...?" He answered, puzzled.

"Well that's a new record" I shrugged. "My previous record was I think, 7 minutes"

"What?" Chiyo and Souta said simultaneously.

"Yeah, I jumped off a building with Nico's glider, because I had a dream of me flying. And yeah I survived" I rambled, "now that I think about it, it probably wasnt a dream"

"That's so cool, I'd love to try! " Chiyo exclaimed, earning her an annoyed look from her dad.

"Sure! " I exclaimed back, "but we're gonna have to borrow a glider, we can't use Nico's, because she banned me from touching her stuff also—"

Souta cleared his throat, grabbing our attention, "Avatar Kaira, your training will continue tomorrow. But right now we need to take you to town hall for your announcement"

The emotions drained from my face instantaneously.

"Right now? But I—I don't know, what if..." I stammered.

"Everthings going to be fine, let's go" He said and strutted away. I glanced at Chiyo with raised eyebrows, to which she replies with a shrug.

The car ride to Town Hall was filled with Chiyo and I rambling about a book that we both read. Souta didn't want Chiyo to come, but she some how persuaded him into allowing her, he probably knew this was going to happen. I feel like we're gonna be great friends.

The announcement was not what I expected to be like. What I expected was a small crowd, maybe like 10 people, mostly old people. But no, there was a swarm of people, I don't even know, I lost count. People with cameras and microphones and cars. Oof I'm no good with crowds. The last time I went on stage I puked all over the audience, so stuff like this is a no no for me.