Chapter 22: Mom and 5 Yuan

She promised herself she wouldn't use the avatar state. She couldn't stop herself. The avatar state does what she could never. Hurt. Kill.

She moved her hand up, bringing up ridges between each human and spirit.

"Stop this immediately" The voice came from Kaira but it wasn't hers. The voice was louder, fuller, it spoke authority.

"The avatar! "
"Avatar Korra! "

Spirits screeched and murmur started up among the humans.

"I opened the portals because I knew humans and spirits were meant to live together. It was never a matter of if but when. This world doesn't belong to any one kind this is ours. Continue your battle and republic city will be no more. "

That's when kaira's eyes dulled and her body dropped slowly to the earth.

She stared eyes wide at the people and spirits. She thought she would've hurt them. Kaira sighed loudly. She took a deep breath then spoke, "I know who closed the portals."

Whispers rose instantly.

"A spirit did this. I will stop her and open the portals, but I need you all to stop fighting." Kaira couldn't smile. She couldn't laugh. She wasn't herself, even when she was.

She turned around to head off to the portal vines. However before she left she needed to get something out, "Please don't possess. If I lose him, I might loose myself"

She had a feeling she needed to head to the portal vines. She gulped when she saw Nico's staff on the ground. The tears stung the brim of her eyes. She picked up the staff and glided over the buildings towards the vines.

Her landing was soft. She dropped quietly onto the vines.

A figure seemed to form before her. A small white round figure.

"You, what happened?! " Po asked, floating up to Kaira.

"Where's Malaika? " She asked face blank.

The spirit blinked, "what? "

"She needs to set things right"

Po settled down on the vines, as another figure formed behind him.

The figure looked exactly like Daya, the only difference was the color of their hood. This spirit's hood was white.

Kaira gulped, "are you Malaika? "

"You are correct" She said. Even their voices sounded the same.

"Please open the portals" Kaira begged. She couldn't stand to watch her best friend die. How could she sit by and let others get hurt too.

"I can't" The spirit replied.

"What do you mean you can't? " Kaira's voice rose slightly.

Silence wrapped around them.

Kaira didn't really think about it before her hand swings, and a loose vine shoots at Malaika. The white spirit stood still waiting for the impact during those few seconds. But nothing happened and no one was hurt.

Po had pushed Malaika out of the way and Kaira immediately felt sick. So sick she could throw up everything in her body. How could I do such a thing? She thought as she fell to her knees.

No not now, dont break now, you need to get up and fight, Kaira chanted, as she forced herself to stand.

"My sweet baby girl, I love you, I'm here for you" Kaira peeked up at to the voice that left her too soon.