Chapter 9: Fire and a Foe

The car came again to pick me up, but this time I was at home with dad

The car came again to pick me up, but this time I was at home with dad. Lee came with Rik again. I hopped on saying good morning to both, to which Rik replied happily and Lee unenthusiastically.

"So Leeeeee am I learning fire bending today?" I asked Lee, grinning. I know I'm childish.

"Yes Avatar Kaira" He replied smiling tightly.

"You can just call me Kai, my friends call me that plus I don't like being called avatar....it's weird"

"We're friends?" He looked baffled by the idea.

"Yep, everyone I meet is my friend, whether they like it or not" I shrugged.

He gives me the side eye, "That's being pushy"

"That's why when you see me, you should run the other direction" I suggested grinning ear to ear.

"For the Avatar you sure are weird"

☆゚.*・。゚

We arrive and I hop off to be greeted by Mako.

"Hello Kaira" He smiled happily.

I grinned at his smiling state, "Hello Mako" He's one of the nicest of the old men.
Lee goes to sit on the  cement stairs comfortably.

"Let us start? " He suggested. I nod, "the key to fire bending is breath, take a deep breath like so. " He breaths deeply.

I copy him breathing deeply and holding it in, I think I turned a little blue from holding it in for too long.

"Ah no, don't hold it in" Mako says cringing at my state. I release the breath with relief.

"Say Mako, how did you get your name?" I asked, randomly, bored, interrupting our training. He just looked too familiar.

He smiled to himself reminising, "I was named after my mother's friend, why do you ask? " 

"You just look familiar" I stare at him more and then I finally get it, "you're Korras son aren't you?! "

He chuckles at my surprise, " Yeah, I guess I didn't mention that"

"So I'm like your mom! " I grinned like a goof.

"Uhh no, but sure" He said, "but let's get on with our training" I nod, still smiling at my joke, "breath, in and out" He said doing as so.
I breath in and out and in and out quickly, following Mako. He stopped and stared at me confused, "slowly" He added. I slowed my breathing coming to a slow pace.

"To be able to fire bend is to be able to control the heat" I do an ohh sound, "but it also requires a lot of meditating, you good with that? "

"Sure" I answered before the question registered in my brain.

"Ok I want you to meditate and breath"

"Now? "

"Yes now, there's a nice spot there next to Lee" He points to Lee who was now meditating in front of the house, "you can stop when I come back"