Chapter 18: Light

At first I didn't really think about it. My mother was some sort of spirit keeper. And I was born here, in the spirit world. Well...

I wouldn't believe it even if I'd seen it. But since learning of my destiny as the avatar, things that I didn't think were real, started to gain a lot more sense.

Even a flying pig-sheep!

Crazy, I know. I don't know if I'm enjoying it, or dreading it.

"So umm, Daya, you knew my mom right? " I hesitated. The leaves beneath my feet, crunched and creaked.

"I did. She was my friend" She said simply. Her hood covered every inch of her face.

"What-uh-what was she like? "

"Why do you ask? " She was probably smiling under her hood.

"Well, dad doesn't like to talk about mom much.... "

"She was the most beautiful soul I'd ever met. She took care of spirits like we were her kind. She was lovely"

"I miss her. I never had the chance to learn proper bending from her, I never got to–" I sighed loudly, "–I don't know why I'm saying this"

"Hey it's ok" She stops, her hand raises to mine. I honestly didn't think she had a hand/hands. They were sort of blue and soft looking. It was ice cold when she held mine in hers, "we will get justice for her death"

I smiled warmly and let her hand go. The warmth immediately, embracing me again.

What is justice supposed to mean?

Minutes of silence passed before we entered an area of big jumbo jungle trees.

"We're here" Daya said.

Only did I look up did I see the huge tree house like homes. My jaw dropped in aww.

"Stand down you are outnumbered! "A voice among the trees called out. Instinctively my hands raise above my head. I could tell we were being watched by at least a dozen pair of eyes.

"I bring the avatar" Daya said from beside me.

Silence.

Then like an angle from above a man drops to the ground via a loose vine. He was human. His long hair tied loosely behind his back, he had the brightest green eyes I'd ever seen and a scruffy beard.
His eyes widened at me, "you're the new avatar? "

"Yes...sir. Kaira and you are? " I slowly lowered my hand down and out to him.

"Latik mayor of the human settlement" He said, as his rough hands shook mine.

"Human settlement? " I exclaimed.

"You're young and you're obviously not from republic city"

"No sir I'm not"

"So, Avatar what brings you around here? "

"I–you don't know? " My eyes widened.

"What don't I know? " He asked, eyebrows raised.

"Republic City is a war zone. Spirits and humans are at each other's necks. The portals have closed"

At first he was silent, he closed his eyes, let out a breath then said, "shouldn't you be able to open them then? "

"I didn't open them, so I can't close them" I shrugged. But something kept bothering me, "how long have you been living here"

"Since the portals were opened by avatar korra"