• Four •

The king laid on his bed, the duvet covering his body up to his chest. You were wiping his forehead with a small cloth wet with water.

You had lit a fire to keep the man warm and sweaty so he would get the sickness away. "Princess..." The king muttered.

You looked at his face, the king opening his eyes to look at you. The man was young, he was in his 30s.

You felt bad that he was sick. He was close to your parents when you were a kid before they passed away.

Your mother was beat friend with the king when he was a prince and she passed away when he was made the king.

"Yes, your grace?" You whispered, dabbing the cloth on his face softly. He sighed softly, "Please, marry the Prince." He said.

His voice was broken and quiet, his eyes held worry and concern. "Are you sure, your grace?" You asked, pulling away to wash the cloth.

"If he doesn't become king, his brothers will take it and it will make them enemies." The king replied.

"He is the only I trust with the crown. I trust he will take care of the country, his brothers, and you." You smiled softly.

The king took your hands in his, smiling softly. "He is special. He has powers nobody knows about and he will only be safe if he stays on the throne." He explained.

The doors soon slid open, the two of you turning to it to see Jungkook standing there. "Father." He said.

You moved away with a bow when he headed towards the king. You stared at the ground, still being able to see Jungkook and his father.

Jungkook took his hand, caressing it. "Father, how are you?" He asked worriedly. "I won't be able to stay longer, son. I'm sorry." The king said.

"Father, no..." Jungkook whimpered. His eyes filled with tears from what you could see where you were standing. You looked slightly higher, seeing the king's eyes full of tears too.

"Marry the princess. It's the only thing to keep your curse and hers away." He sighed, moving to caress Jungkook's cheek.

'Curse? The prince has a curse like me?' You thought, staring with wide eyes at Jungkook. The king sighed, his eyes falling closed.

His chest stopped moving and his hand slowly fell from Jungkook's cheek, falling on his chest. "Father?" Jungkook said, shaking him softly.

"Father!" He exclaimed, gripping the deceased king's arm. He sobbed heavily, shaking the man more in hope of him to wake up.

You covered your mouth, tears starting to fall down your cheeks. Jungkook buried his face into his father's chest, holding his hand tightly while sobbing.

You held in your sobs while you went closer to Jungkook, your hand moving from your mouth to his shoulder. You could feel the way his body trembled.

It made your heart break even more. The sounds of his sobs and sniffles. He was close to his father, you could feel it.

As you were lost in your thoughts, staring at the king, you felt arms wrap around your waist and a head buried into your stomach.

"He's gone..." He whimpered. You looked down to see Jungkook had hugged you, seeking comfort and warmth similar to his father's.

You hugged his head close with a soft smile, surprised he didn't hate you. From the way he argued with his father, it seemed he didn't want you as his wife.

Maybe it was your non-Korean looks or your way of being clumsy. Either way, you only focused on that moment and that moment only.

He needed you.

||

"Princess. I have your new dresses in your new room." The court lady said, bowing to you. You were confused, not understanding what she meant.

"What do you mean, Court Lady Oh?" You asked, making her look up at you. You held your hands together by your stomach, holding a royal pose that you were taught as a child.

"The king promoted you to my position, Princess. Since he sadly passed away, you will be Prince Jungkook's court lady." She explained.

"But-" "You will be his court lady until he becomes king and decides to marry you. It was his father's wish and he will grant it." She cut you off.

You quickly followed after her when she started walking towards her old room, which was now yours. She opened the door to reveal a spacious room.

A double bed, a fireplace, a closet, a small table on one side for you to write letters. You loved it. "The king's room is beside yours, the Prince's, I mean." She said.

"He will come now and help you change. So please, wait here." The woman said. You felt nervous about what she said. He had to help you change.

He wouldn't see you naked since you, women, usually wore a thin nightgown underneath the dresses, like underwear.

You swallowed a small lump in your throat, sighing softly before sitting down on your bed. Your eyes widened, touching the fabric of the duvet.

"It's so soft." You mumbled to yourself, smiling widely. "It's cotton. One of the best kinds of cotton in Korea." You heard.

You jumped up to your feet, your wide eyes staring at Jungkook. "Y-Your grace." You stuttered, bowing towards him.

"I'm not yet king and you're already calling me your grace?" He chuckled, heading towards you. He looked at the dress laid out on the bed, smiling softly at it.

"It will suit you. Shall I?" He asked, motioning to your dress.