13. the Secret Life of Damien Carmichael

It was just after dinnertime when Damien decided to make the call. His parents would be sitting in the parlor, drinking coffee, or perhaps brandy. His mother would be playing solitaire, while his father would be reading the evening paper for the stock reports.

He had never been so nervous in all his life, now or never he thought to himself, unlocking his phone and finding his mother's contact. His hands were trembling as the phone rang. Once. Twice. Three times, and his mother picked up.

"Damie, darling," his mother's voice rang out from the other end of the phone. Damien swallowed nervously, under normal circumstances, hearing his mother's dulcet tones would calm him, but this was not a normal circumstance. He could barely think to formulate his words. 

"H-hi, mum," he stammered.

"What's the matter darling?" she asked immediately sensing Damien's tension. It was all he could do not to laugh. She always could read him, it had made it so he could never lie to his parents about anything. He supposed if she had ever been bold enough to ask him outright about his sexuality, he would have been unable to do anything more than run out of the room to avoid answering the question.

"I... um... there's something I needed to speak to you about," he said. "An―and Dad. Is he there?"

"Of course darling..." she pulled the phone away from her ear and called for his father. "Damien. Our son's on the phone." Damien snorted, at least some things never changed, he thought. "Alright darling," she said. "I've got you on speaker, what's going on?"

Damien swallowed, he wasn't even sure how he should go about it, or even what to say. Best to tear off the bandaid before I lose my nerve, he thought. It really shouldn't be so difficult. It's not as if his mother would disown him. It was his father he had to worry about.

"Well, um... it's just... there's something I've been meaning to tell you both for some time now. I wanted to tell you in person, only I've been too scared," he admitted, stalling somewhat.

"Oh darling, are you feeling alright?" his mother asked, sounding worried. Damien groaned, this wasn't going to plan at all.

"I'm fine," Damien said.

"Let the boy talk!" his father argued.

"Honey if you're not feeling well, we can come and get you," his mother said.

"We most certainly will not!" his father argued. "We paid a fortune for that school and it's his final year, why on earth would we pull him out because of a little sickness. They have a nurse I'm sure."

"I'm not sick," Damien cut in.

"Then what is the matter darling, you've got me rather worried," his mother said.

Damien sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I'm... gay," he said defeated. As soon as the words left his mouth, he felt as though he might vomit. The room was deathly silent, and for a moment he thought perhaps he had lost the call. Seconds ticked away like hours and Damien was beginning to feel quite lightheaded.

"Darling, is that all? Goodness you had me worried half to death you were hurt or something," his mother said.

Damien exhaled a breath he hadn't even realized he had been holding, and laughed a little in spite of himself. Oliver smiled. Damien had almost forgotten that either him or Carrie were in the room.

"I wanted to tell you in person," he admitted. "Only Tyler found out and he's been threatening to out me to everyone," he sniffed.

"He what?" Mrs. Carmichael demanded. "Dam are you hearing this?"