23. Midnight Kiss (part I)

It was a peaceful morning on the 31st when Damien awoke bright and early to plan Oliver's birthday surprise.

Sneaking out of bed proved somewhat difficult, on more than one occasion, Oliver had simply pulled Damien closer to him making it next to impossible for Damien to leave.

Damien giggled despite himself, managing to slip away with some amount of effort, sneaking down to the ballroom where his mother was already waiting for him.

"You're late," she said staring at the diamond-encrusted Michael Kors smartwatch on her wrist, a Christmas present from his father. 

"Sorry," he said. "Oliver was a little clingy this morning." It had become sort of an every morning thing between the two of them actually, not that Damien minded of course.

His mother smiled at that, "Well, I suppose that's acceptable then," she replied. "After all I can appreciate as much as anyone an overly clingy man," she smirked. "Now, I know Oliver said he didn't really want a party, but I figured since I've already scaled back on doing the whole New Years' Eve party this year that a little surprise party might be in order."

Damien worried his lip at that, he had been thinking about his mother's plans for the last few days now, and though she hadn't communicated them previously to him, he had rather expected something along these lines. "I just feel like, we really overwhelmed him with Christmas," he said. "So doing anything big for his birthday might be too much for him."

His mother frowned at that, "You're not wrong. I'm just so used to planning lavish parties for you and your father. And I do so want for him to feel like he's part of the family."

"He does," Damien assured his mother. "And I think he really appreciates it too. But this is his first birthday without his parents. That was his first Christmas. I think something small so he can sort of process everything might be in order. A nice, quiet day for the two of us to just have together."

His mother eyed her watch, "Assuming we left right now your father and I could be in Paris before two," she said. "We could spend the rest of the week there and be back in time to take you boys back to Westlake on Sunday." Whatever Damien had expected, this was certainly not it. 

"Or, since you just got him the Tesla, we could drive ourselves back," Damien suggested.

"Yes but then I wouldn't see you again until Spring," his mother said with a frown.

"It's only a few months, and then I'm only back in school for like three weeks if even..."

"Then you're off to Europe for the summer," she said. "You and Oliver will want to enjoy your summer to yourselves. You won't want your parents hanging all over you."

Damien gave his mother a look, "Of course we'll want to see you."

"Where? In Prague? Milan? Paris? You're going to some of the most romantic places in Europe, and then you're ending in Zurich, which... does he know about that yet?"

"He doesn't know about any of it," Damien snapped.

His mother tutted at that, "Darling, you can't be keeping secrets from him."

"He said he didn't want to see his uncle. He wasn't ready, so I'm respecting that. But I had planned to go to Zurich well before I met Oliver and I'm not about to change that plan now. By the time we're there maybe he'll be ready to see him."

"And if he's not?"

"Then, Switzerland is a fairly big place. I'm sure we won't run into him," Damien replied. 

His mother gave him a look but said nothing, "Yes well, you should tell him eventually what the plan is. Your father and I have made all the arrangements to add him onto your trip, although... has he thought about university yet?"