15. the Plan (part I)

My Dearest Oliver,

I'm so terribly sorry to have gotten you into this mess.

Damien sighed, scratching out the words in his notebook, it was a touch on the dramatic side, he thought, and not altogether necessary.

He had spent the better part of the evening in the library trying to formulate a letter to send to Oliver, along with his homework. But everything felt trite, or worse more snotty than the occasion called for, or than Oliver deserved. He knew he shouldn't be upset with Oliver for being silent, he had done the right thing after all. But the whole situation was infuriating, and he couldn't help but be infuriated by it all. It wasn't fair! Tyler had only gotten a week's detention, and it was unlikely he would actually serve the full week.

Sucking in a deep breath, Damien went back to work, he was determined to write Oliver a proper letter.

Oli,

I've contacted my father, and he's assured me he's going to do everything he can to get you out. In the meantime, Carrie's monitor friend has agreed to sneak you your homework and some notes to ensure that you don't get behind in anything.

Xoxo

-Damien

Ps: I love you.

Damien shook his head, scratching out the last part, it was far too soon. It had only been a few weeks, after all, he could at least give it a few months, he told himself. If he was honest, he wasn't entirely sure he could fathom saying it first.

Pulling out a new sheet of paper, Damien copied the note, without the love but keeping the x's and o's. He folded it and pressed a kiss to the paper for good measure. Not that Oliver would ever know about it.

Carrie smirked standing over his shoulder, "That's cute. If a touch nauseating," she teased.

"Ha, ha," Damien rolled his eyes.

"Oh, I'm kidding. You know I'm very happy for you darling," she said.

Damien smirked, "You know if you asked out your monitor girl you could be blissfully happy too."

Carrie snorted, "It's a bit more complicated than that... to be honest, I don't think it's going to happen," she shook her head looking as though part of her was torn on whether or not she wanted to elaborate.

Damien frowned, he had never seen her look so downtrodden. It was rather unnerving and very offputting. She was meant to be the cheerful one, he thought. "For someone who's so great at giving me life advice, you sure seem rather defeated about your own love life."

Carrie seemed to consider this, not that she could really argue, "Look all I'm saying is that it's complicated, she and I have been friends for a while now, I don't want to mess that up."

Damien raised an eyebrow at that, "I thought you said you were like, friends with benefits?"

"I said getting me alcohol was the benefit. We tried hooking up a few times, but she doesn't want to get in too much trouble," Carrie shrugged. Damien eyed her. "It's one thing if I sneak keys off her, or she does something like getting Oliver his homework, she doesn't want to get into serious trouble. I get it. I wouldn't want her to get in trouble either."

Damien nodded, though he wasn't altogether convinced. "What about Maddie?"

"What about her?" Carrie replied somewhat snappishly.

Damien held up his hands defensively, "Wasn't trying to piss you off, I was just wondering if you still talked?"

Carrie sighed, "She's kind of kept her distance after the whole, hitting Tyler in the face with a tray thing."