Chapter One

Updating? So soon? Practically unheard of! O.o

Who is this author and what have they done with the real Asdfghjkl?

Well, actually it IS the real me! *Cue shocked gasps* I know, I know. But I'm supposed to be doing math homework right now... and procrastinating that overtook my usual updating procrastination. Plus this chapter was written even before the preface.

Thank you to CrazyCookiesYum for commenting, voting, adding to reading list, etc. And applauding like a good citizen. Everyone else should also be a good citizen like CrazyCookiesYum!

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy the chapter! I tried to replicate Shannon's style but I'm not really sure how well I did... anyway.

"Just to be clear," Dex said. "You want me to try to open the cache?" The little glass sphere rolled around Dex's palm. It was such a tiny and harmless-looking thing for something that could destroy the elvin world. Caches contained little colored gems, Forgotten Secrets. If the Council did something horrible enough that the guilt could shatter their fragile sanities, they would store the memories in the cache and have it erased from their mind. Each of the twelve councillors owned one, and Councillor Maybe She's Not So Bad After All, But She's Still Not My Mom, AKA Councillor Oralie, had given Sophie her cache.

Sophie nodded. "Yes. Just like the last six times I said so."

"You know there's probably a reason these secrets are forgotten, right?" Dex continued.

"Yeah. But we kinda need to figure it out." Sophie said. One of her best friends, Keefe, was in a coma because his evil mom, Gisela, did something to him. They had heard Gisela mention the word "Stellarlune," which Councillor Needs A Better Nickname said sounded familiar, but couldn't quite remember it. This led them to the conclusion that it was a forgotten secret. Which led Sophie to this argument with Dex.

"And this one has to be pretty big, considering it's Oralie's only secret."

"That is also accurate. But-"

"Oh, and also-" Dex interrupted.

"Okay. Dex. I get it." Sophie cut in. "I definitely know the risks. I am like the queen of obsessing over the risks. And I decided that opening the cache would be worth it."

"You're sure?" Dex said.

"Yes!" Sophie shouted in exasperation.

Dex sighed. "Okay. Okay, I'll do it."

Sophie hugged Dex. "Thanks, you're the best!" Sophie was glad hugging her best friend was just hugging her best friend now, nothing weird. A while ago, The World's Most Awkward Friendship led to The World's Most Awkward Crush Confession which led to The World's Most Awkward Kiss... but finally, the awkwardness was gone. Thankfully. "Let me know when you've figured it out!" Sophie held up her leaping crystal.

"Where're you going?" Dex asked.

"Take a guess."

"Hmm... the Healing Center, maybe?" Dex said, pretending to think hard about it.

"Yes, you are correct! I am going to visit Keefe in the Healing Center! Congratulations!" Sophie applauded. It wasn't exactly a hard guess. Over the course of the past few weeks, Sophie had spent a significant amount of time there. She basically only left to shower occasionally, or when her adoptive parents Grady and Edaline made her come home. This was one of the few times she had been the one desperately waiting for a friend to wake up... usually she was the unconscious one.