Chapter Fourteen

Yay! We made it to 100 votes! Thank you guys! 

Anyway, you probably still hate me from last chapter, but...

Enjoy! (That struggle when you know you should proofread but you really don't want to. XD)

At first Sophie was convinced it was just a prank Keefe was pulling, so she gave him a disapproving look and informed him that now was really not the time. Keefe shook his head and insisted that he really wished he knew, but he just couldn't remember.

"You really don't remember?" Sophie asked, her voice meek as she felt tears filling her eyes. "You don't remember me? Sophie... though you usually called me Foster. And a whole lot of other stupid nicknames like Girl-Who-Dropped-Bronte-On-His-Grumpy-Butt. It was honestly really annoying... but that was your goal. Teasing me was your favorite activity. Remember?"

Keefe shook his head. "Look, Sophie... or Foster... Or Girl-Who-Dropped-Bronte-On-His-Grumpy-Butt... or whatever you want me to call you... Think I'll go with Foster. Foster, I'm really sorry, but I just don't..."

"What about Fitz?" Sophie asked, voice rising in desperation. "Fitz, you called him Wonderboy? Or Dex the Dexinator? Biana? Linh? Tam- Bangs Boy? Silveny AKA Glitter Butt? Mr. Forkle? Ro? Bo? The Ballad Of Bo And Ro? E. L- E. L. F-fudges? Remember? Keefe, p- please remember! Keefe, t-tell me y-you remember! Please, K-Keefe..." Tears started streaming down Sophie's face as she screamed and pleaded with him, as though that would change anything.

Blue breezes slowly starting floating through Sophie's head. Shh... it's okay. Breathe. It's okay.

With tremendous effort, and with the help of the ice-blue waves from Keefe, Sophie managed to stop her tears. Still sniffling miserably, something clicked in Sophie's mind- Keefe wasn't even close to holding her hands. He couldn't be manipulating her emotions like that- it wasn't possible! Not if he wasn't enhanced. Or maybe the stellarlune made it so his empathy was like he was always enhanced? Sophie opened her mouth to ask him, but instead of the question, only sobs came out. She hugged her knees as she started crying again.

As calming ice-blue breezes kept coming, Sophie could feel Keefe rubbing her back. Even though she wasn't an empath, she could definitely sense the awkwardness Keefe had. Grateful he would try to comfort her without even knowing her, Sophie whispered "Th-thank you."

"No problem, Foster."

The sweet moment was interrupted by the door being forcefully opened. "Lord Funkyhair is awake?" exclaimed a voice Sophie recognized as Ro's- though the nickname also kind of gave it away. "Hate to admit it, but I kind of missed having him around. You know, he's kind of entertaining. Ooh, and look at this! Is the Keefoster ship finally sailing? We should throw a party! WHOO! DOWN WITH FITZPHIE, TEAM FOSTER-KEEFE SHALL RULE!"

"What's... the Keefoster ship?" Keefe asked softly, as though trying not to upset Sophie with his question. It didn't work. For all the jokes he made about ships, even though it annoyed Sophie to no end- how could he not remember them?

Ro blinked. "Funkyhair, you're kidding. The Keefoster ship is only-"

"He doesn't remember." Sophie interrupted. Her voice was hollow. "He doesn't remember anything."

"Oh." It seemed to take a second to register. "Oh. Like, he doesn't remember anything? Like, not me? Or even you?" When Sophie nodded, Ro sighed. "That does not bode well for my OTP."

Glaring, Sophie snapped "Yeah, because that's all you care about. Your stupid ship with me and Keefe. Honestly. Now is not the time."