Chapter Eleven

Hello, dear readers! Yes, I am actually updating early! Mostly because I wrote this chapter a month ago! Anyway, this kind of thing will actually be normal for quite a bit!

Crowd: Oh, huzzah. More chapters. More torture.

Me: You know you could just not read it.

Crowd: Don't you force us to?

Me: Oh yeah... right.

Anyway...

Would anyone like a sneak peak at my notes for Swan Song? Of course you do.

Here are some examples of the bullet points I wrote, just the ones I felt wouldn't give anything away.

And just saying, if you thought I was actually a good writer, rest assured: This will change your mind.

~Sophie is sad

~Sophie and Fitz use cognate power

~AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHASDFGHJKLFANGIRLATTACKKKKKKK

~Incomprehensible sobbing noises

~Big BATTTLEEEEEEEE THINGYYYYYYYYYYY

~Council stuff, blah blah blah...

Anyway, enjoy the chapter!

"Dex?" Sophie said, running into Dex's room as if there was a fire behind her. (Technically, it was more likely that there would be a fire in Dex's room, but now was not the time to get into that.) Now was the time to get into the 35438957 questions spewing from Sophie's mouth incomprehensibly fast.

"Dexwhat'sgoingonwhydidyouhailmeisitsomethingbadohmallowmeltpleasedon'tbesomethingbadwaitOMGOHMYMALLOWMELThaveyoufiguredoutthecachearewefinallygoingtobeabletoopenthecacheDEXWHAT'SGOINGONAREWEGOINGTOLEARNTHEFORGOTTENSECRETWHATISSTELLARLUNEWE'REGONNAFINDOUTWHATSTELLARLUNEISKEEFE'SGONNAWAKEUPISTHISREALLYHAPPENINGDEXXXXXXXXXXXX!" (Lol, sorry 'bout that. Good luck reading it XD.)

Dex took a deep breath and rubbed his temples like he felt a headache coming on. "Sophie. Please. Slow down. I have absolutely no idea what the mallowmelt you are saying."

"Dex-what's-going-on-why-did-you-hail-me-did-you-open-the-cache?" Sophie repeated. Or, at least summarized. Slightly slower than before, but still mostly too fast for a human being (or elf) to understand. For weeks, months, she'd been waiting for something- anything- that could help them wake up Keefe. Anything. And now that it was finally, finally happening... could she be blamed, if she was overly excited and impatient? He was one of her... best friends... yeah, one of her best friends. She missed him, so much it physically hurt. He'd been in a coma for too long- any amount of time was too long, honestly, but now? It'd been so long she was starting to wonder if he might not...

No. She refused to let herself think that. Not now, when there was finally a chance! A chance wasn't a perfect guarantee- but it was better than what they'd had before. A chance returned to Sophie what she was starting to give up on- hope. A chance was a tiny glimmer of light in the bleak, pitch-black darkness of missing Keefe. And Sophie was going to focus on that chance like it was a lifeline.

These deep reflective musings gave Sophie the opportunity she needed to calm down. "Dex... is it... it has to do with the cache, right?" Dex nodded. "Did you... did you open it?"

"No." At Sophie's look of dismay, her entire world of hope crashing down around her, he added "But, we'll know the forgotten secret really soon! All we need is for Oralie to come. I hailed her, so she should be coming by in three... two... one..."