Chapter Nineteen

"That was fast." "That's what happens when it's corona time and you have nothing to do."

Still, a fast update! Wow!

This story just achieved 1k views! AHH! Thank you all so much! Here, have some virtual mallowmelt!

Time for the chapter! Or maybe... the crowd!

Crowd: A love triangle? Seriously? Could you get any more cliche and lame?

Me: Hey, it's Shannon's fault for making one! I'm just resolving it!

Okay, now it's time for the chapter! Enjoy!

"Hi, Fitz." Sophie said weakly.

"Hey. What brings you here?" Fitz's teal eyes refused to meet her gaze, which was probably just as well. Being reminded of his beautiful teal eyes probably wasn't the best thing to do in a love triangle. Oh mallowmelt. Was Sophie seriously in a love triangle? Was she seriously becoming the annoying female lead character she swore never to be? Ugh. She better choose soon.

Or, of course, forget about the love triangle while they focused on the more pressing matter, meaning, the Neverseen.

And now she couldn't choose what course of action to take! Indecision! Ugh.

"Sophie?"

"Oh! Right!" Sophie let out an awkward laugh as she pulled at an eyelash. Her eyelash-free eyes remained focused on the floor as she told Fitz (or maybe Fitz's carpet... she wasn't sure) "We need to talk."

"Sophie. Those four words are probably the four most terrifying words in the Enlightened language. You couldn't have chosen a more... friendly premise?"

Ah, but the point of this talk is that we're not just friends, said the voice in Sophie's head that reminded her suspiciously of Keefe.

"Sorry." Still, Sophie refused to look at Fitz. That's a really nice teal carpet he has there!

The Keefe-voice snorted and said A teal carpet? Could this guy get any more vain?

Again, Sophie ignored the Keefe voice. She needed to get that boy out of her head- oh mallowmelt, did she just call him "That boy"? No! She was turning into Grady!

(Speaking of which, Sophie wondered how Grady would react to the love triangle. She resolved not to tell him.)

"Um... so, I'm sure you're aware that the 'Great Foster Oblivion,' as Keefe dubbed it, has ended. You saw the memory too?" Sophie started. Goodness, was that a speck of dust on Fitz's carpet?

"Yes." Fitz's voice was sour. "You don't need my permission to date him, Sophie. You also don't need to give me a 'Even though I'm dating your best friend, you'll always hold a special place in my heart' speech. And, if you were wondering, I'm not going to flip out on you. Or whatever you came here for, you didn't need to."

"We're not dating," Sophie exclaimed. Why did everyone assume...

Maybe because you and Keefe are meant to be?

Or maybe because Keefe was always the second choice, and everyone knows that you and Fitz broke up.

"SHUT UP!" Sophie yelled. Guiltily, she looked at Fitz for the first time. "Sorry. Not you. I was talking to myself."

Fitz nodded, though he was clearly weirded out. "Okay. I've done that. Anyway, you were saying?"

"Keefe and I aren't dating." Sophie repeated.