Chapter Forty Five: Finale

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH- am I doing this again?

(This is a double update, in case you weren't aware, so read chapter 44 first! Otherwise this won't make sense! Thanks!)

AHH! THIS! IS! THE! LAST! CHAPTER!

Crowd- Man, thank goodness.

Me- Hey, you'll miss insulting me!

Crowd- Hmm... true.

Without further ado, let us proceed to (dramatic sob) THE LAST CHAPTER!

Enjoy!

"So this is what the Forbidden Cities are like," said Marella, looking around. "I don't like the air here."

"Yeah, that's pollution," said Sophie, wrinkling her nose. She had gone to San Francisco to talk to Amy, but the rest of her friends had been enthusiastic at the chance to visit the Forbidden Cities. Though they weren't forbidden any more- elves could come and go as the pleased, and the Council was talking of changing the name to "the Human Cities."

"I don't like pollution," said Linh, who was holding Marella's hand.

"No one does," said Tam from behind them. He and Keefe had been planning some sort of prank, with Dex offering input and Fitz sighing. Biana skipped along next to Sophie, finally silent after a long interrogation about the best places to shop here.

Sophie stopped in front of her old house- her human family had moved back here after it was sure that their memories wouldn't come back. She made a sort of sad smile as a flood of memories from this house hit her. "That's a lot of emotions, Foster," Keefe whispered.

"I know."

"You want us to go away?"

"Um... yeah. If you don't mind," Sophie admitted. It was true that the presence of so many elves might overwhelm Amy, but she also wanted to be alone with her old house and her old family. Sophie was happier than ever in the Lost Cities, but a large part of her still missed her old life.

"No problem. GO AWAY, GUYS!" Keefe yelled, taking off running. The rest of the group followed until Sophie was left alone.

She took a deep breath and rang the doorbell.

Amy opened it, to Sophie's relief. She wasn't sure what to say to her parents about a strange girl wanting to talk to their daughter. She wasn't sure she could handle seeing her parents, either.

"Sophie!" Amy exclaimed, attacking her with a hug. She'd gotten taller since the last time they saw each other- Sophie's little sister was nearly her own height now. "Is it safe for you to be here?"

"Yeah," Sophie said, nodding and laughing. Tears rose to her eyes- mostly happy. "We won."

"Awesome! Yay! So what brings you here? Besides just wanting to see your awesome sister, of course."

Sophie smiled. That had, in fact, been the main reason. "Well... elves used to have a thing called the human assistance program, where we introduced awesome things to humans. Like chocolate cake. Oh, and penicillin. That closed down after World War Two, but we've decided to restart it. I've been put in charge, but the council wants you to help me, since you're the only human who knows about elves."

Amy's eyes widened. "Are you serious?"

Sophie nodded. "Yep."

"That's awesome! I'd love too! Just as long as it's not too much work. Algebra gets in the way of elf stuff, you know?"

Sophie laughed, remembering how much she'd hated algebra. "Yep. So, my friends are here- you want to hang out with them?"

"Sure, just let me ask Mom and Dad." Amy disappeared for a few minutes before returning and saying "Yep, we have an hour and a half! Where do you want to go?"

Sophie smiled. "Well..."

Ten minutes later, the group was gathered at the museum where Sophie had been on a field trip once, a million years ago. The field trip where she met a teal eyed boy and her world flipped upside down.

Even after knowing she was an elf, Sophie never could have predicted just how crazy her life would get.

But finally, the craziness was over- save for her insane, amazing friends.

It had been a long, looooooong journey. And they'd lost a lot along the way. Sandor. Kenric. Calla. One of the Mr. Forkles. Her human family.

But she'd gained a lot too. A group of friends who she knew would always be by her side. A new family, slightly broken, but that she loved more than anything. A sparkly flying horse. Even a boyfriend, which twelve year old Sophie thought would never happen.

The road that started on a school field trip and continued on until now was crazy. Some parts were painful. Some were incredible. Some were terrifying.

But for all the craziness of the journey, she liked where she ended up.

Sophie smiled. This wasn't her swan song.

The End.

Can I scream again?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I've calculated. The final product is 60,734 words. Well into novel length territory. And it's incredible to think I've written so much.

I started this book on December 12, 2019. I ended on July 28, 2020. About seven and a half months. Which is almost a year. Which is a lot of time and effort dedicated to one work.

This book and I have very obviously been through a lot together. A pandemic, for starters. This book is part of what got me through the apocalypse. It's also been with me for one final exam. One chapter was written in Israel. I've written on two computers and one phone. This story was here for a Bat Mitzvah. Friend drama. Family problems. Mental health issues. It's been a roller coaster of a seven and a half months, and this book was here for me the whole time.

And I say this book, but I also mean you guys, my wonderful readers. My "fan base" over on FanFiction.net is bigger, but you guys are spectacular as well. Constant support and encouragement. I would not have the motivation to write it it weren't for you amazing people.

I wish I could name all of you. But I can't. It is quarantine, but I've got online martial arts in ten minutes. But if you've read this book, voted or commented- then know that I mean you when I say I cannot thank you guys enough.

Like Sophie, I've had a crazy journey- hopefully this isn't my swan song either- and you guys have been there through mine too.

You're incredible. This experience has been incredible. And I'll miss writing this book- I'll have no idea what to do with myself, honestly. And I can't wait to see you guys for my next story.

Once again, thank you so much for reading...

Swan Song!