Chapter Thirty

Another fast update!? Yeah, I figured I'd give you one more before I had to learn how to write a fight scene. Ughhhh.

Crowd- *Snickers* *Twix* It'll be so terrible! I can't wait!

Me- Hey!

If you're a math dork like me, I think you'd all be pleased to know that the document used for planning the love triangle is/was called Keefe^2+Fitz^2=Sophie^2.

Get it? Get it? 'Cause it's a triangle...

I'll stop.

Alternate chapter title: Carrot cannot write love confession scenes.

"You must be lost," Keefe's voice said, turning on the lights. "It really is an unnecessarily big place."

After leaping to the Waves of Wimpiness, Sophie had realized that she didn't really think this through all the way. To let Keefe know that she wanted to talk to him, she took out an imparter from another pocket and hailed Keefe. He told her that he was really at Candleshade, and she leapt over there. Ro gave her a strange look as she entered, but didn't comment. Sandor, who had followed Sophie to the Waves of Wimpiness and then here, muttered something about why they couldn't have charges with a shred of self preservation.

After a quick ride on the Vortinator Of Doom, Sophe had been wandering the halls of Candleshade, relying on her (admittedly photographic) memory to remember where Keefe's room was- but it was dark, and all of the halls looked the same, and yes, she definitely was lost.

Sophie smiled, remembering that those were the first words he ever said to her- the first part, anyway. "Yeah," she agreed softly. "What brings you here?" She looked around, vaguely recognizing the room he led her into as Keefe's bedroom.

"I could ask you the same thing."

"Right, but I asked first," Sophie countered.

He laughed quietly. "True. I couldn't sleep. And I came here to clear my head. I don't know why it works, but... it sort of does. I have a lot of memories here. Some of them don't even suck. Plus... Ro is right, smashing some of the stuff here at Candleshade is pretty theraputic. Okay, your turn to answer. Why is the Mysterious Miss F coming over to my old house at five in the morning?"

Sophie's face exceeded the temperature of the sun in that moment. She'd felt so excited coming here, but now... there was just a heck of a lot of awkwardness. "I, um, well, I couldn't sleep either... and I talked to Linh, and she helped me- she helped me realize that..." To stop herself from pulling an eyelash, she took Keefe's hands in hers. "That I choose you."

Keefe's eyes widened. His mouth opened to say something, then closed again as he changed his mind. Again and again. Finally, he settled on "Sophie, I- I hope you know what a horrible decision that is."

"Don't say that. Keefe, I don't know how you don't realize this, but you're amazing. You're who I want by my side as I grow up and get married and have kids and... Keefe, you may not be perfect, but I love you."

Keefe's arms engulfed her, holding on to Sophie like if he let go, he would lose her forever. She hugged him back with the same amount of force. Finally, Keefe let go. They stayed so close together as he cupped her face and whispered "I love you too, Sophie."

Her heart wasn't fluttering this time. In comparison, the way she felt after looking into Fitz's teal eyes was almost childish. No, her heart definitely wasn't fluttering. Instead, it seemed to be expanding, swelling bigger and bigger with her feelings for Keefe, almost bursting. Sophie's cheeks were definitely on fire, but instead of her usual awkwardness, she felt sure of herself as their faces drew closer...