shadows

San stared down at his feet as they carried him forward into the darkness. The only light being supplied was from the phone in his hand that was signaling an incoming call he couldn't answer. 

It didn't feel as if he had any control over his movements, so he watched as his body slowly pressed forward trying to make out something. Anything.

Within the shadows a light voice could be heard in whispers. The voice bounced around the silence, calling out in words and phrases he couldn't make out.

It was a sweet, alluring voice that comforted San.

As a small light appeared far away, the voice seemed to become rushed. Before long, the tiny spot of light grew, becoming what looked like an opening at the end of a long hallway. 

The voice picked up speed and the words and sounds began to overlap. Another voice that San recognized started, thunderous in his ears and just as rushed.

His dad.

The light was blinding now as the end of the hallway came into view. The clashing voices were yelling now, and he brought his hands up to either side of his face, covering his ears. 

San reached the light and looked through the frame that led to the outside, it was an exit. 

A small female silhouette came into view on the other side.

"Mom?" San's voice called out against his will, reaching a hand to the opening.

The figure turned away as the door slowly closed. A soft click could be heard as it shut, shrouding him in the dark. 

Only Seunghyun's voice could be heard now, lowered and somewhat timid as the hallway became quiet again.

Warm tears flooded San's eyes as he opened them to the dark ceiling above his head. They spilled over and down the sides of his face, making his ears wet. He tried to roll over but was met with another warm body pressed firmly next to his own. 

He quietly sniffled, not wanting to wake Yeosang and wrapped his arm around the other's torso, needing the comfort.

The boy's fading pink ruffles stirred awake at the sound of San's muffled weeps. He readjusted to face him and they both scoot forward under the blankets, tangling their limbs.

"I saw my mom in my dream again," San whispered.

Yeosang sighed and wrapped his arms around him in a bear hug, letting the other place his face in the crook of his neck.

More tears fell.

"Ahh Sanshine, I'm sorry." he cooed. 

San was glad that Yeo had decided to stay over tonight after his audition.

He could never tell when it would come or how many nights he would have this repeating dream, but he always craved a warm embrace when he woke. 

There was an overwhelming feeling of sorrow aching inside his mind when it happened. He thought he could get used to it by now.

His heart still clenches tightly and the emotion chokes him awake, spilling tears on the pillows that have long cradled his heavy thoughts.

"Do you want to talk about it again?"