the fire inside

~ Kino ~

Breathe. Hands up. Side step. Jab. Breathe. Slip right. Lead with your left. Breathe.

Kino stalked around the center of the ring fiercely gazing.

He used his entire body to pull air into his lungs and stretch his diaphragm, causing the aches gripping his body to stir and bring a wave of pain over his limbs.

The only thing that mattered to him right now though was the man staring him down, waiting for an opening in his defense. He wasn't going to let him find one.

Breathe. Hands up. Focus. Strike. Breathe. Analyze. Execute.

Before his opponent could move first, he pushed his body forward with his back leg and slid into striking range. His leading left hand quickly delivered a short jab aimed at his chin, followed immediately by a strong cross from his right. 

The other fighter was quick, and threw his own combo before moving out of reach for Kino's left handed uppercut. When it didn't connect, Kino stooped lower barely dodging another jab and wrapped his arms around his waist.

He placed his leg behind the others and used all of his strength to pick him up by his torso. With the help of his hip, he threw him over onto his back on the ground. He quickly pinned his knee on his chest to prevent further movement. Finally.

Kino had worked on that takedown all morning. His frustration had begun to slowly creep through his veins and settle in the bottom of his stomach at his inability to accomplish the move.

"That was sloppy, do it again."

Kino lifted his eyes from the struggling figure pressed under his weight to a man standing on the other side of the black chain linked metal who had been watching the two.

He released an exasperated sigh, "I've worked on this for hours, can we take a break," Kino met his eyes through the fence.

The man shrugged and stepped towards the opening of the gate. He unlatched the closure and stepped on to the octagonal mat. 

He came to a stop a few feet from Kino as he climbed off of the other who was now gasping for air due to his knee.

"Sure," The man grumbled.

Kino's shoulders fell, releasing the tension that had been stored there. He felt relieved after spending so many hours in the training room. Fighting was no longer a hobby, but felt like a necessity to survive. 

"Thanks, dad," Kino replied. He began to unwrap the fabric that was laced between his fingers and around his wrist.

"How about you take the rest of the day too?" his dad said.

Kino stopped in his tracks and looked over his father's blank expression. He couldn't tell if he was being serious or not and couldn't remember the last time he had so much time to rest, "Really?"

Another shrug, "It's not like your form is getting better anyway. So what's the point of practicing when you're just giving me pathetic take downs and half-assed combos?"

Of course, Kino thought to himself. Why would he ever be naive enough to believe pleasing him was this simple. 

"Dad, I-," Kino began but was cut off.

"I've watched Choi's kid fight in that pit Hyunggu, if you don't find leverage over him, you will lose. You need to train harder."

His eyes closed and he inhaled deeply. He hadn't told his dad about the night of the lantern festival, afraid of possible backlash that the outcome didn't go as he expected.