lights all night

Wooyoung drummed his fingers on the steering wheel to the tempo of the music playing from his speakers. 

He was waiting patiently for San to come out so they could drive over to Hwa's.

The fear that settled in his core from the last encounter with Seunghyun was still present and made his debate to either ring the doorbell or text last only a few seconds. 

So he sent a message that he was here and stared at the road ahead until the other arrived. 

Lights All Night was something that Woo looked forward to every year. It was a time he could forget his problems and thrive in the comfort of his friends. Even though Jongho was missing out this time around, he wasn't going to bail and give up the chance to see how far he could take things with San.

This intricate game he played in romance had become one in which he excelled at. He knew he could make others feel enraptured by his appeal and was confident in that ability.

It seemed to be working on San too, but strangely for the first time, Wooyoung was feeling a bit reluctant to keep it up.

He needed to get a lock on his feelings because he didn't want to be where he's been before; hand extended and heart displayed. And they always walk away, his thoughts chimed.

"Maybe San's not like that," he whispered in the emptiness of his car.

He could be, he thought again.

The door finally opened and San stepped out into the night.

The beauty of his presence as he stood in the door frame made him look like a portrait. His jeans hugged his thighs tightly as if they had been painted onto his legs with the softest strokes of an artist's brush.

His dad followed just behind and watched San skip down the steps, making intense eye contact with Wooyoung.

He timidly waved from the driver's seat and gulped, feeling the heat of his stare burn holes into him.

Wooyoung stepped from the car and walked around to the passenger side, opening the car door for San who gave him a questioning look.

"You don't have to be so formal, my dad's really a big cuddle bear," San said but it didn't convince Wooyoung.

"Bears have claws," was all he said in return.

San chuckled and they drove away with the windows down to feel the summer night run its fingers through their hair.

When they arrived, they came to a long graveled driveway. It winded through the front garden and led to an open area for parking. Wide black marble steps led up to the glass front door that was swung open as they came to a stop. 

"Everyone's already here, we're about to start!" Seonghwa hurriedly greeted.

They followed Hwa through the vast maze of his house to a lounge room. The interior was decorated with deep ash colored wood finish and accents of royal blue and white.

Inside, the others were gathered around on multiple pillows large enough to fit two people. Blankets covered the floor while snacks and drinks covered the rounded coffee table.

Each of the pillows were occupied already with pairs; Hongjoong and Seonghwa, Mingi and Yunho, Hyunjin and Yeosang and one empty one.

Wooyoung looked over at San who was mouthing something frantically to Yeosang. It didn't go unnoticed to him that this had turned into an unintended couple's party as Seonghwa motioned for them to take the empty spot.