brawl out

San opened his eyes to the familiar hollowed corridor he had visited so many times before. This dream, his recurring dream of a shadowed path with whispering voices and a blinding light that led to his mom. 

He stood still in the center of the hallway, waiting for his body to be ushered towards the small glowing beacon in the distance, but nothing happened.

He stared as the light beckoned him, inviting him to come closer but he stayed frozen in his spot.

The silence pressed against his ears heavily as he listened for the usual faint murmur of his mother's voice. 

"Hello?" He pleaded. His voice echoed around, reverberating in the quiet space. 

Something wasn't right. It was as if someone pressed pause in his mind and everything became motionless except for him.

"San?" A voice called out from the light.

The usual restraints that captivated his limbs were no longer holding him in place and he stepped towards the familiar voice. He walked over the cold floor timidly, not being used to having control over his body here.

His slow pace turned into a brisk stride as the voice called to him again. "Who's there?" 

The light expanded, illuminating his path and a silhouette in the door frame. 

San broke into a run, attempting to stop the shadow as the door began to close. He stuck out his hand, grabbing at her until another shaded outline stepped into view making him halt.

The door closed with a heavy thud as he stood, blinking at where the two had just been. He reached for the handle and slowly turned it, letting the light pour in again. 

The creaking sound of the hinges opening revealed that they were gone...

+

"Are you ready to do this?" Seunghyun asked.

San looked up at his dad and nodded his head, there was no more time to decide. His fight with Kino was finally here and he wasn't going to back down, not with so many sets of watching eyes.

The roaring crowd in the grungy confines of H3 rattled its foundation as they cheered and spectated the ongoing competition. San was slated to fight Kino in a later bracket but the fights passed quickly and he was now next up to face his opponent in the Pit.

"Dad, I actually wanted to talk about something I saw in my dream last night, I-," San began.

"We'll talk about that later, right now I need you here. Remember everything we did in training, don't lose focus. If you feel like you're gonna black out..."

"Just think of me," Wooyoung said, finishing Seunghyun's sentence.

San smiled, turning to him and took his hand, "I will." 

The piercing howl of the crowd signaled the end of another fight and San took a deep breath, feeling the oxygen stretch his lungs. 

"I guess that means I'm up."

He wrapped his arms around the elder and buried his face in his shirt, squeezing tight. When he let go he gave a final glance to both of them before turning towards the door that led from the back rooms and into the main floor.