first impression

The brush of Wooyoung's fingers against San's as they walked close together sent chills across his body despite the summer's balmy night.

They had spent the train ride to San's neighborhood with a headphone in each ear, discussing and sharing their favorite songs. The warmth of Woo's body pressed up against his side made him forget all about his anger earlier, falling back under his charm.

"I should apologize for tonight," Wooyoung said as they walked.

San looked over at him a bit confused, "For what?"

"You're not the only one that loses control of your emotions in the heat of things," he replied.

San just nodded. It didn't take long being around Wooyoung to know that he used his anger as his weapon of defense in situations. 

"What makes you so angry all the time?" San inquired. A long pause between them left only the sound of their shoes scuffing against the pavement.

"I don't like talking about my past, it's hard to look back and know that isn't the way it was supposed to be," Woo stated.

"How was it supposed to be?" 

"Better than being abandoned and left to my aunt. Better than her not wanting anything to do with me either. Better than having everyone run out of my life at the first chance they got."

"I'm sorry," San whispered.

Wooyoung stopped in his tracks and turned on him. His hands were slightly shaking and his breathing picked up a little, "Well don't be! I don't need anyone feeling sorry for me and treating me like some charity case!"

The contrast in their volume was drastic as San muttered out a quiet, "Okay." His shoulders lowered and they stared at each other briefly before continuing walking.

"I'd like to help you, with your control like Jongho is doing for me," offered San.

They finally reached the towering white pillars of San's home. The front door was branded with a giant 'C' and two dragons circled around the metal.

"Looks like you've never had anything to worry about," Wooyoung rolled his eyes at the elegant facade of the structure.

"If you believe that just because of where I live then you're more naive than I thought." San lightly chuckled trying to lighten the mood. "Come on, follow me."

They walked around to the side gate he used to sneak out for his runs and pushed through to the backyard.

A large covered bench was in the back of the garden. They made their way over and climbed into the swinging cushions, crossing their legs and facing each other. 

"I didn't struggle with my childhood as much as you did but it was hard. I know what it's like to feel abandoned. My mom didn't want me either." San mumbled the last part.

The other sighed, "Anger is the only thing that keeps its consistency in my life and helps me control what I want."

San whispered, avoiding Wooyoung's eyes, "I would be consistent...."

"In helping, t-to help I mean," he added on.

The other giggled and ran his hands through his hair to sweep it out of his eyes. If this were a match, San would be losing. Wooyoung's attraction felt like a punch, knocking his heart around the ring.

"Would that mean I got to see you more often?" Wooyoung placed his hand on San's thigh, softly drawing circles on his leg. 

"D-do you want to?" San asked. He cursed his emotions for always showing themselves so blatantly at times like this.

The stars above their heads were gleaming in a way that made them look like fireflies dancing in the galaxy. 

The silence of the night pressed against their ears as every creature, bird, and even cloud retired to bed, leaving what felt like just the two of them alone in the world. 

Wooyoung hadn't replied but leaned forward in his cushion, gripping his thigh with more pressure.

His gaze traveled from San's eyes to his lips, asking permission. San just blinked and leaned closer hoping he would understand.

The soft caress of their lips when they met was like touching the velvet surface of a rose petal. San almost didn't think they had connected until his eyes fluttered open and then closed again, immersing himself in the kiss.

This was nothing like the kiss at Utopia. San wanted to be consumed by this feeling and held here in this touch forever.

Wooyoung's hands traveled to his waist, grabbing him firmly. Their lips became slick from the kiss as they slightly parted them to let their tongues meet.

The pounding of San's heart in his ears sounded like real life knocking and he opened his eyes to look at Wooyoung.

A dark figure in his peripheral view caused him to jump and pull apart from Woo, making the bench sway frantically.

They came to an abrupt stop as a foot was placed at the edge of the swing and looked up.

"H-hi dad," San stuttered.

Wooyoung froze next to him, looking up at Seunghyun's stone cold expression. His arms were crossed over his chest and the eyebrow over his clouded eye was lifted, making him look terrifying.

Seunghyun didn't say anything and looked between the two of them, and then down at Wooyoung's hand that was still gripping his leg.

Wooyoung snatched his hand away quickly and attempted to stand up from the seat.

The plush pillows in the swing didn't help as he worked against gravity to get to his feet.

When he finally stood, he straightened his clothes and tilted his head back to look into his eyes.

Wooyoung stuck a timid hand out to his dad, "H-hello sir, I'm Jung Wooyoung."

Seunghyun took the extended hand and shook it once, firmly.

"Dad, Wooyoung is a bartender at the lounge Yeo plays at," San said and stood up too.

Only a gruff sound was given from him as his eyes looked between the two. His expression was unreadable for someone who just caught their son making out with someone he hadn't met in the yard.

"Maybe I should head out, San I'll see you at Jong-" he stopped, now wincing.

San had pinched Wooyoung's arm from behind in panic.

"At... Yeo's show," he finished, trying to cover.

As if he was participating in a speed walking marathon, Wooyoung made a beeline for the gate without looking back and let himself out.

"He's cute," Seunghyun muttered, face now soft as they looked in the direction Woo had just made his exit.

"I think you might have scared him a little," San said with a chuckle and leaned into his arm.

"Good." His dad laughed deeply before pausing, "Do you like him?"

San hid his face under the older's arm, "I think I do," he mumbled.

a/n love_lorri yes, that starry kiss was just for you, just like I promised. Was it okay?? 🤧